first project.. verlet physics

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/first project.. verlet physics

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi I am doing a small verlet physics engine as my first project in Bmax to get me used to doing types and lists and just about every part of blitz max that I dont really understand fully.. well now I think I understand it. :)

I wrote the following code in about 30 minutes after buying bmax but I have a few questions and weird happenings...

controls.. spacebar = add object
arrow keys to control verlet #2

I know this is a really general question but I was just wondering if this is what a typical bmax program looks like or am I doing it wrong... well it works so I guess I am doing something right... I cant get strict to work but I dont know if it is really important. build time isnt an issue for me

also.. how is frame limiting controlled in bmax.. I know in the graphics command sets the frame rate but in my program things randomly get choppy and then go back to normal..

sorry for the noobish questions but I have only had bmax for a few days so I can hardly consider myself a pro

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#2]
Neat demo!

Definitely use SuperStrict. You were just missing some locals and :Int entries. This compiles:

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#3]
ok thanks a million DavidDC. I guess I will just study the code you modified so I can figure out superstrict and strict :) What are the advantages/disadvantages of superstrict and strict besides compile time?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
What are the advantages/disadvantages of superstrict and strict besides compile time?

You'll never, ever have an (hard to find) error where you have mistyped a variable name and accidentally found yourself using a variable which does not exist, and thus has a 0 or NULL value.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
I think I get it now! thanks!

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hi I have another question.. when I build without quick build or debug on, when I run my program a command prompt window pops up along with my game. Why is this? is there a way to get rid of it because it is getting annoying. I am running vista if that helps any

Warpy(Posted 2009) [#7]
you might have "build GUI app" disabled.

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#8]
oh yeah I thought that was for Max GUI which I dont have so I disabled it. my bad... blitz max is so addicting! thanks for the help.