help for GUI

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/help for GUI

quokka(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've made a program with GUI in blitzplus. I wanted to use this program in mac o linux. so i've used blitzmax and converted program from blitzplus to blitzmax (using MaxGui). The program works perfectly with windows. how can i complie it for mac os an linux?
thanks

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
You have to install BlitzMax on a Linux or MacOS machine and compile on them.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
For Linux, you can install something like VirtualBox (or VMWare) on Windows. You can then create a "virtual" Linux OS which will run on top of Windows, which should be good enough for building and testing.
Not so many useful options for Mac, other than to have a Mac to build on. (or find someone to build it for you).

:-)

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#4]
Not so many useful options for Mac, other than to have a Mac to build on.

I'm not sure about that :) I've made a successful run with mac on vm workstation, with amd.

I suggest purchasing an up to date version of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.5+) if you have any interest in Iphone development, and, to be honest getting mac to work on vm isn't really handy for developing on. It's seems ok for compiling with, but you'll find it abnormally slow to run on.

Macbook is a better way to go, but I figured I would throw this alternative out there.

Check out The osx86 Project

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]

I'm not sure about that :) I've made a successful run with mac on vm workstation, with amd.

Not so many legal options of doing so -- the OS X EULA explicitly prohibits you running it on non-apple hardware, and running it inside a VM on a PC is in violation of that agreement.

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
I am not so sure that would stand up in court. I can see them stopping businesses from selling it installed on non-apple hardware.

If I buy OSX, it is none of their business where I install it. I bought it, that copy is mine. I will do with it as I please.

Also, I can't see them trying to pursue an individual, so I don't see how it matters.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#7]
I am not so sure that would stand up in court. I can see them stopping businesses from selling it installed on non-apple hardware.

If I buy OSX, it is none of their business where I install it. I bought it, that copy is mine. I will do with it as I please

Except that Apple considers the retail operating systems an upgrade and not a full version (since the original apple computer already came with an OS bundled)

Other vendors like Microsoft also sell 'upgrade' versions that require you to have purchased specific items from them in the past (e.g. a qualifying windows version)

anyway, it's still up for discussion on whether or not the apple EULA is actually valid and enforceable -- but that answer will soon be questioned, since Apple is currently fighting a courtcase against Psystar on exactly this subject.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#8]
If I buy OSX, it is none of their business where I install it. I bought it, that copy is mine. I will do with it as I please.

Yeah, do they really want to begin fighting their own MS-fan customers?

Some of us aren't willing to spend $1500, just to use an os for compiling on, when spending $1500 to build a pc can build an absolute monster in any comparison.

..Although i'm one of the stupid people who might buy a macbook for iphone development, if I find that unity3d for windows is all it has been made up to be.

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#9]
Some of us aren't willing to spend $1500, just to use an os for compiling on, when spending $1500 to build a pc can build an absolute monster in any comparison.

But enough people are -- Apple is a hardware company first, software second.

At one point in the past they did license the Apple hardware designs to a 3rd party company to be able to produce them, and the company nearly went bankrupt over it because they couldn't compete with them.

Apple knows that allowing/enabling outside parties to create Macs will cost them dearly, so they are attempting to keep it all locked up.

It was easier to do when they weren't intel based, but they kind of had to make the jump because the non-intel chips got increasingly further behind the times and not getting on board would mean that they would sink anyway.

Anyway -- the biggest problem that I have with Apple is that they don't have any middle-of-the-road machines. You can choose between 'greatly underpowered' and 'ridiculously overpriced', but hardly anything half-way decent that won't break the bank.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
Some of us aren't willing to spend $1500, just to use an os for compiling on

Geepers... and I thought my Mac Mini was expensive in South Africa!......

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#11]
You can choose between 'greatly underpowered' and 'ridiculously overpriced', but hardly anything half-way decent that won't break the bank.

Quoted for truth.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MzM

700$ can build a pc more powerful than the $3000 macbook pro, and running mac on vm with that $700 oc is surely faster than a $700 mac mini.

I would love to continue the topic, but I have kind of hijacked the thread. Sorry quokka..I hope you found what you were looking for regardless.