Help Blitz Max

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Help Blitz Max

Christer(Posted 2008) [#1]
I have seen that its possible to have modules in Blitz Max. Any example of what they can do?

Can BlizMax have 3D?

Is BlitzMax better with making 2D games then Blitz3D or Blitz Plus?

Thanks

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
I have seen that its possible to have modules in Blitz Max.
Blitzmax is entirely module-based.

Any example of what they can do?
Print "Hello World", would be one example.

Can BlizMax have 3D?
You can use Blitz3D SDK (costs), or MiniB3D (free), or Truevision, or Ogre, or one or two others.

Yes, although some people will swear blind that Blitzplus is better simply because it runs on WinNT.

*(Posted 2008) [#3]

Yes, although some people will swear blind that Blitzplus is better simply because it runs on WinNT.

WinNT is ages old so thats not really an issue as much as it would have been two years ago.

gameproducer(Posted 2008) [#4]
Can BMax have 3D

Besides minib3d, or b3d sdk, you can use for example Leadwerks: www.leadwerks.com

better with making 2d games than blitz3d or blitz+

I don't think there's a huge difference. If you know one, you can get grasp on others pretty fast. On the other hand, Bmax has already loads of stuff dedicated for 2D games, so you can find neat libraries & frameworks that you can use.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#5]
... and is x-platform and OO.
I loved B3D with SpriteCandy or NSprite but once I used Bmax I couldn't go back.
Still done nothing with it of course but Bmax has opened up many new avenues of doing nothing to me.

verfum(Posted 2008) [#6]
Blitzmax is better than B3D and plus in both 2D and 3D, it's far more object oriented so it's easier and more logical at making larger games, the idea is to do away with global variables with games, that went out in the late 80's purely because it's bad practice, yeah sure you can make Breakout, Pong and Asteroids like this, maybe even Tomb Raider ;P but if you want to make a fairly serious game, use Blitzmax.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#7]

Don't know about B3D, but It has some massive advantages over Blitzplus: Since BMax is 2D-in-3D, you get real-time alpha-transparancy, scaling and rotating, which can make *all* the difference when it comes to adding eye-candy to a game.

On top of that the language itself is more powerful, allowing you to use object-oriented programming styles if you choose to do so. BlitzMax is also able to use multi-threading, so you can actually use additional processor cores on a multi-processor system.

There's also a lot of custom modules around free for download, which allow things like video playback (PantsOn's Theora mod), web-based highscore tables (Etna) and things like database access, regular expressions, localization, graphical GUI and WX (all Bruceys, plus many more)