Game Programming for Teens Third Edition

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Game Programming for Teens Third Edition

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#1]
Just let everyone know that there is new BlitzMax Book on ebay selling at £17.25p

Game Programming for Teens, Third Edition is a fully revised version of the bestselling book. This new edition teaches introductory game programming skills and techniques using BlitzMax, a new, platform independent programming language. BlitzMax can be used on Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. The book helps beginning game programmers develop the skills they need to create every element of their first video game - from graphics and animation to sound and music. No previous programming knowledge is necessary, and by the end of the book readers will have created their first computer game.

That good news but will be good book?

iprice(Posted 2008) [#2]
You can get it cheaper at Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Game-Programming-Teens-Maneesh-Sethi/dp/1598635182/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226157959&sr=1-3

There are 20 new from £10.37 - even with P&P these will be cheaper than the eBay one.

Looking at the contents of the book, it appears to be focused on BlitzBasic, not BlitzMax. This version is 3rd Edition - and produced from September 2008.

I have the "3D programming for Teens" book, by Eric Grebler, and that concentrates on Blitz3D.

If you want a Max book, have you considered Sloane Kelly's one? I've got it, but haven't really used it much, as I picked up the basics pretty quickly, having come from Blitz3D.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Looking at the contents of the book...

Well, the inside cover says 2003, so I'd guess either those example contents haven't been updated on Amazon, or it is indeed not for BlitzMax at all.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#4]
I thought Game Programming for Teens Third Edition focus on Using BlitzMax and I surprize they focus on Blitz 3D!

big10p(Posted 2008) [#5]
Why is it specifically aimed at teens?

iprice(Posted 2008) [#6]
Hmmm - Brucey, you are indeed correct - the contents image does state 2003, however the "Product details" state -
Paperback: 349 pages
Publisher: Charles River Media; 3rd Revised edition edition (1 Sep 2008)

Maybe they've got the images mixed up with the first book? Maybe it does include BMax content. The customer reviews also date back to 2003, so something is definitely amiss. Perhaps it would be a good idea to actually go to a bookstore to check out an actual copy, so you know exactly what you're getting.

Dunno.

The Programming for Teens books are arranged in a manner that are easy to understand by teens (and younger people that want to learn). They are also written in a large type face that many adults may not associate with adult styled books. The content is however usable by anyone - whether you're a teen or not (well based on the "3D Games Teens" book that I've got).

big10p(Posted 2008) [#7]
I see. Sounds a bit patronising to teenagers to me, though.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#8]
I have the earlier editions for my kid, they used Blitz 2d.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#9]
some of the "... for dummies" books get over looked due to the title, but like "... for teens" if [any book, on any subject] written by someone who knows the subject at hand is good then its good

cant coment on manesh seti's (sp) book, afaik hes only ever posten in relation to his book so ive no idea how long he had been using blitz before he got the book gig.

im sure alot of experienced (and perhaps long term) coders here could write a really good book or two, infact id like BRL to commission one, but that might be asking too much ;)

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#10]
Why is it specifically aimed at teens?
There is an entire series of "teen" books and since teens are usually the target audience for gaming languages, books teaching game programming and usually the target audience for video games themselves, why would you NOT target teens?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#11]
java games programming for chartered accountants

just doesnt fly off the shelves ;)

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#12]
With 21 I don't consider myself a teen. So I wouldn't buy the book. Is it just about BlitzMax syntax or also about the modules?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#13]
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Programming-Teens-Maneesh-Sethi/dp/1598635182

Product Description
Do you enjoy playing video games and want to learn how to create your own? Game Programming for Teens, Third Edition shows you how to design and develop a complete video game from start to finish, no prior programming knowledge required. You’ll begin by learning the basics of BlitzMax, a simple cross-platform game programming language that can be used on Windows, Mac, or Linux operating systems. Once you understand how to write the programming code, you’ll begin to incorporate all the graphical elements of games including varying colors, loading and displaying images, and creating scrolling backgrounds. Finally, you’ll learn how to add sound and music, use keyboard input codes, and even integrate artificial intelligence. New skills are taught step-by-step, and each chapter builds upon the techniques you learned in the previous, so by the end of the book you’ll have built your very own fully functioning video game. And the CD-ROM contains all the source code, art and sound files, and demo versions of BlitzMax and the other programs used in the book. So don’t just play video games, build your own, with Game Programming for Teens, Third Edition!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#14]
I have the 2nd edition, it is pretty good for beginners. The teen thing is just marketing, they're hoping that most people starting out with programming will be teenagers or in college/universities. It's basically a beginners introduction. It could actually even a bit more simple to begin with cus I did find it assumed a few things along the way, but overall is fairly decent.

Frederic Laruelle(Posted 2011) [#15]
Just purchased BlitzMax and a kindle edition of Game Programming for Teens Third Edition...
I am having trouble obtaining a copy of the companion CD from Manish (he's on vacation)
Can anybody help and send me a copy of the CD?
(looking for the code samples mainly)
send to frederic (dot) laruelle (at gmail (dot) com

Big tks!