Some Questions before buying BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Some Questions before buying BlitzMax

big10p(Posted 2008) [#1]
Ok, so I'm considering getting blitzmax at last, although I can't really afford it (it'd mean putting another dent in my overdraft :/).

Anyway, after getting to grips with the language, one of the first things I'd like to do is convert a vector graphics entity system I wrote for Blitz2D (well Blitz3D, using the 2D commandset), thus giving me lovely blended/glowing vector GFX.

Before deciding, I'd like to know a few things, please:

1) What's the best/fastest method for rendering blended/glowing lines in blitzmax? I guess this will require rendering lines as textured quads - how easy is this to do in blitzmax? Note: I know nothing about coding OGL/DX directly. Also, I'd like to keep things cross platform if possible.

I basically need a replacement for DrawLine so I can quickly render a line from x1,y1, to x2,y2.

2) What other libs/mods for vector graphics are around? I know IndiePath* did one - are there others? I won't bother reinventing the wheel if any do basically the same as mine. Mine basically mimics the Blitz3D commandset, but for 2D vector 'meshes': it has entity scale/rotate/move/parent etc., linepick, tform point/vector/normal blah, blah, blah.

* Does anyone have a copy of Indiepath's lib I can take a look at in the demo version of blitzmax?

Thanks.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#2]
You'll either need to use a textured polygon module from someone else or writey our own GL/DX code. If you want cross platform, forget DX, unless you know you're running on Windows.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#3]
This has all been done several times in Blitzmax. No need to re-invent the wheel at all. Search the forums and you should be able to find some source or an author who coded something like this already.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Yeah there's code out there that can do it.

I just wanna say GET IT GET IT GET IT, it rocks, and you'll love it once you figure it all out. Better save up enough for my framework too ;-p

big10p(Posted 2008) [#5]
Ok, if it's all been done before, I wont bother. Probably still be getting blitzmax, though. It's about time I joined the 21st century and learnt to code using OOP.

Grey, luckily I doubt I'll be needing your framework for a while so that'll give me time to save up. :P

[edit]
This has all been done several times in Blitzmax. No need to re-invent the wheel at all. Search the forums and you should be able to find some source or an author who coded something like this already.
Well, I've done another search and cant find anything like mine. All I find is Indiepath's which doesn't seem to be available anymore, and Brucey's Cairo wrapper, which isn't really what I'm after.

Hotcakes(Posted 2008) [#6]
Grey, luckily I doubt I'll be needing your framework for a while so that'll give me time to save up. :P

It's really quite excellent. Not necessary if you're doing test projects to learn Max, but if you're coding anything important best to use the framework before you start it.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#7]
I have Indiepath pre compiled texture poly mod in my page in the link below under mods if you still want it. I just tested it with bmax 130 and it works fine.

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
I have Indiepath pre compiled texture poly mod in my page in the link below under mods if you still want it. I just tested it with bmax 130 and it works fine.
Danke!

big10p(Posted 2008) [#9]
Thanks Jesse, I'll take a look.