how to compile into all-inclusive file?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/how to compile into all-inclusive file?

B(Posted 2008) [#1]
is there a way to compile all of my code into an all inclusive .app file?

I have programed with other languages and they all support this function, however I am unable to find a way to do this.

I have researched the forums to the best of my abilities, and unfortunately i am unable to find any posts that concern this topic.

thanks for all your help

B

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
If you have GUI build enabled, your binary will be put inside its own .app folder.
Any resources/libs you need to put in there you'll need to sort out yourself.

BlitzMax's default "make" app, bmk, doesn't do much else apart from get things compiled. It is wanting enhancing to provide some kind of post-scripting abilities.
Until then, you either manually copy resources etc, or write yourself a script :-)

B(Posted 2008) [#3]
i guess ill just have to wait.

i dont think i could write a script for it, atleast not right now.

thanks Brucey

B

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
Are you simply asking how to create a .exe?

If so, just click on 'build' as normal, then look in the same folder where your source code is. The .exe will be there. Make sure to create your final build in release mode (i.e. with Debug Off).

If you want to include graphics/sounds etc in the .exe file (without the need to supply them externally), use Incbin:

Normal code:
myImage = LoadImage("graphics\myImage.png")

Incbin code:
Incbin "graphics\myImage.png" 'put all your Incbin's together at the top of your code, or in a separate include file etc.

myImage = LoadImage("incbin::graphics\myImage.png")

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#5]
I think .app is Mac...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#6]
I think .app is Mac...
You can still use Incbin though, can't you?

Never used Blitzmax on a mac but I assume this isn't a windows-only thing.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yeah, I think incbin is portable.

I think it is possible to put the Intel and PPC version of the program all into one .app file, so I assumed that was what he was talking about.

dmaz(Posted 2008) [#8]
incbin works fine on a mac and there are instructions on this site for creating universal binaries.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=65180

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#9]
The only problem with Incbin on a Mac is that if you then create a Universal binary from it, all your files are included twice - effectively doubling the size of your app!

I provided instructions on how to go about putting your data inside the app bundle itself, so that both the PPC and Intel versions could use the same files. Those instructions are here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73690

Quite why it hasn't been made a sticky I don't know!

B(Posted 2008) [#10]
thanks everyone!

i havent tried any of this yet but i will soon, and I will get back to you on if it worked or not, and any bugs that occur.

thanks again!

B