How to test if a Short is negative?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/How to test if a Short is negative?

Rico(Posted 2008) [#1]
If I have a variable of type Short - how can I check it is negative?
I thought I could cast it to an int, but this doesn't work

e.g.

Local s:short=-10
If int(s)<0 then ........

I don't really know what shorts are - but Box2d uses them for Filterdata - so I have to use them.

Thanks for any help.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
A short is an unsigned integer - different to an Int, in that it comprises 16 bits (two bytes) instead of 32 bits (4 bytes). It cannot hold negative values.

The only way (I can think of) to check if it should actually be negative, is to establish a maximum value that it can hold, say, 2000. That way you'll know that anything higher than 2000 is actually supposed to be negative.

I don't know what this "box2d filterdata" lark is all about but if you want to use negative values, then short types are not the tool for the job.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Something like :
If s & $8000 Then

End If

should work for negative values of a short.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#4]
If the system you're using it with uses signed shorts, then it probably works similar to signed integers, where the top bit determines that the number is negative.

Rico(Posted 2008) [#5]
I once had a go at learning assembly language - you had to use a system like that for representing negative numbers - might have been called one or two's complement (it was a long time ago....)

Thanks Brucey - that works nicely. BTW I'm doing it so I can use the default ShouldCollide method in Box2D and alter it a bit - the one that is in the help documentation - however the bit where it checks the GroupIndexes is wrong because it fails for negative group indexes - because it isn't checking for negative shorts in the right way

This section:
If filter1.GetGroupIndex() = filter2.GetGroupIndex() And filter1.GetGroupIndex() <> 0 Then
	return filter1.GetGroupIndex() > 0
End If

I thought you might want to alter the helpfile.
Thanks.

Gavin Beard(Posted 2008) [#6]
Sorry,

but for my own ref. what does
If s & $8000 Then

End If

actually do?

cheers

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#7]
returns zero if the number is positive, and not-zero if it is negative... assuming that "s" is of type Short.

grable(Posted 2008) [#8]
It masks away all bits but the sign, as the sign is stored in the last bit.

This is how bitwise and works:

0 & 0 = 0
0 & 1 = 0
1 & 0 = 0
1 & 1 = 1

so $8000 = %1000000000000000 (16 bits)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
..and explained more succinctly by grable ;-)

Gavin Beard(Posted 2008) [#10]
Lol, thanks guys, now i gets it :-D