Transfer Image through UDP

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Transfer Image through UDP

lukehedman(Posted 2008) [#1]
So, I'm building a custom system for displaying ads in my games. Because of specifics of how the security systems run, I need to transfer custom images from the game server to the client.

Now I'm looking for a good FTP system. As I need it to run without hanging the server up while the file transfers, and BlitzMax isn't threaded, I'm thinking it needs to be UDP based, or external.

How do I go about creating a system to send images from the server to a client, that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux?

jkrankie(Posted 2008) [#2]
I thought Blitzmax was threaded these days.

I've had variable success using bank strams for getting images from my ftp into a blitzmax app if that's what your after. you should be able to find the topic via a search.

Cheers
Charlie

Hezkore(Posted 2008) [#3]
The BlitzMax version on the SVN is threaded.

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=80344

lukehedman(Posted 2008) [#4]
Oh my goodness! I've been away from BlitzMax for a year and a half. It's threaded now!

Well, I think that solves my problem. I'll probably wait until the threading features are more developed, and just work on other aspects of my game for now.

Thanks for informing me!

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#5]
Why UDP? Don't you have a big change the image won't be successfully transfered? I think you should use TCP/IP for reliable data exchange.

lukehedman(Posted 2008) [#6]
"As I need it to run without hanging the server up while the file transfers, and BlitzMax isn't threaded, I'm thinking it needs to be UDP based, or external."

However, now that BlitzMax has threading in development, I can use TCP/IP without the program stalling. So yes, I will be using TCP/IP now.