2D bloom

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2D bloom

Hezkore(Posted 2008) [#1]
I was wondering if there were any good tutorials about bloom but in 2D?
Or possibly if someone had some old code for this...
I can't seem to find anything to help me get going on the forum, most of the effects are for Blitz3D anyways.

Cheers!

MGE(Posted 2008) [#2]
What is 2d bloom?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#3]
This is tricky with Bmax as there is no shader support or texture buffers.
This might help.
This is a good article on Bloom.
If you don't need dynamic blooming then I would suggest having the 'bloom' aspects of an object saved separately and added using Lightblend.
Hope it helps.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#4]
I think bloom is WAY overrated, it only happens naturally where very bright light sources shine behind objects and some of the light radiance scatters in the air particles creating a glow at the edges of objects, but it is way overrused and not very realistically so, in my opinion.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#5]
I think bloom is WAY overrated, it only happens naturally where very bright light sources shine behind objects and some of the light radiance scatters in the air particles creating a glow at the edges of objects, but it is way overrused and not very realistically so, in my opinion.

... whereas Alien invasions, inter-planetary travel, hell-demons walking the earth and small yellow 'cheese' being chased by ghosts are every day events :-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#6]
You're comparing chalk and cheese. Bloom is usually used to create more realism in realism-striving graphic styles, not to complement fantasy styles.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#7]
Bloom is usually used to create more realism in realism-striving graphic styles
Really? Don't people use it on spaceships or lasers or aliens?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
Bloom is used to ape a realistic phenomenon caused by imperfections in camera lenses, but it's most often used in non-realistic games. Much like lens flares are a realistic phenomenon but it was mostly non-realistic games which used them because they're an over the top effect which doesn't really look that good with realistic scenes.

Wikipedia's description of the Bloom effect lists a handful of examples, including Ico and Legend of Zelda, so clearly it's not used exclusively in "realism-striving graphics styles". In fact, I think those two games pretty much epitomize the phrase "fantasy styles". Tron 2.0 was the game which made it popular apparently. Again, not big on realism.