Recovering lost data via the ".bmx" file?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Recovering lost data via the ".bmx" file?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#1]
Recently I lost everything while working on a game. I was in a hurry to free up some space. I used a file recovery utility to get most of my source back. I'm still missing one or two files. I know that when I create a project there is always a ".bmx" folder. I was able to recover the .bmx file with the utility. What is saved in this folder and can it recover missing data with the files inside?

degac(Posted 2008) [#2]
Have you tried to look for .bmx.bak files? They are Backup files that MaxIDE creates every time you run/compile a source.

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#3]
The .bmx folder holds the source and object files used at compile time. It will be recreated the next time you compile your project.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#4]
Just to clear up any potential confusion.

JazzieB, is referring to the assembler source ready to be compiled by FASM, not bmx source.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
Recently I lost everything while working on a game.

You might want to look into some kind of source control repository. Handy for backups, and also keeps a "change history" that you can use to rollback changes if required.

There are companies that provide secure (closed-source) repositories online for reasonable prices.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks guys!