What formats does max support?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/What formats does max support?

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#1]
I can't find any info on what picture formats max supports apart from bmp and png?

Plus is there any reason why i shouldnt use just pngs for my game as they are much smaller than bitmaps and dont seam to look any different?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
jpg and apparently tga too.

Do people still use bitmaps?

Via third party modules you can also get access to other formats such as GIF, DDS, EXR, HDR, ICO, IFF, JNG, KOALA, LBM, Kodak, MNG, PCS, PBM, PGM, PPM, PSD, Fax G3, SGI, RAS, TIFF, WBMP, XBM and XPM.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#3]
I always use PNG with transparent rather than a masked background colour.

deps(Posted 2008) [#4]
I always use png. I see no reason to use any other format.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#5]
Well if you are putting your game into eg a zip archieve, I've heard that bitmaps compress better than PNGs. Though once extracted the PNGs will be smaller.

TaskMaster(Posted 2008) [#6]
Of course bitmaps compress better, they are not compressed to begin with.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2008) [#7]
He was asking if there is ever any reason to use bitmaps over PNG, so I told him one. No need to be all "of course"-y.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well if you are putting your game into eg a zip archieve, I've heard that bitmaps compress better than PNGs. Though once extracted the PNGs will be smaller.

In my experience most .PNG's are slightly smaller than a zip-compressed true-color bitmap, so the end result is pretty much the same. Now add to that that a PNG can have an alpha layer which you can use for smooth antialiased edges, and there is next to no reason to pick BMP...

I use PNG's for most things like sprites,but use JPG for large background photo's which can be compressed further.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#9]
thanks ill use pngs.