2D Projects versus 3D Projects

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2D Projects versus 3D Projects

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#1]
Just curious, but is anybody out there still working in 2D?

It seems like the place is awash in 3D projects, which is great. However, I have always been gun shy of going the 3D route since it seems to me that it makes generating the art assetts that much more difficult for me in terms of time, learning new tools, etc.

Will the fact that a game project is 2D mean it automatically gets ignored?

Thanks for your opinion.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#2]
no it wont get ignored! id say that most indie games that are finished and on sale are 2d.

iprice(Posted 2008) [#3]
I work exclusively in 2D.

There are games I'd like to do in 3D, but overall my ideas and games are 2D.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#4]
My last game was 2D, as is my current one.

JazzieB(Posted 2008) [#5]
2D here too. Only made one 3D game and that was a board game ... go figure!

MGE(Posted 2008) [#6]
2D is actually getting harder to compete in than 3D due to the high graphic requirements. eek! The days of "asteroids, nebulas, planets" etc, are long gone. lol..

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanks for the feedback.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#8]
I am mainly focussing on 2D also but `in 3D`, and using some 3D elements. I think when add a third dimension the control system becomes so much more complicated and difficult to use, so I focus mainly on 2d-style game environments. The art is harder to do especially in higher resolutions, which is why people keep trying to do computer-generated stuff like glowing lines and the like.

FreakForFreedom(Posted 2008) [#9]
This is funny, because I never really did a game in 2D. Always focused on 3D. Can't tell, what exactly is more difficult, but I'd say that making a good-looking 3D game requires far more time than a 2D game, no?

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#10]
that is my thinking. unless I get a tean together, I am better off doing 2D.

My art skills are serviceable, but creating even 1 3D model prop can take hours

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#11]
2D only, for me. That said: I do like the ability to do 2D-in-3D in blitzmax, which gives all the fancy rotation, scaling, and alphablending options.

Foolish(Posted 2008) [#12]
Definitely. For me anyway, B-MAX has been the best programming language as a hobbyist for reasons just like that.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#13]
The scaling and rotating are nice and maybe if you came from a background of not being able to do that then it would seem like a cool feature but it's more important that the graphics are hardware accelerated in general, scaling and rotating are way overrused as a kind of easy screen transition.

3D does take longer to produce than 2D, mainly because in 3D you are able to get close up to textures and so they have to have more detail, and a 3D world in general requires complicated 3D modelling and texturing and lighting which are much simpler in 2D. And getting the 3D engine to run at a decent speed usually entails complicated computer science that isn't usually necessary in a 2D engine.

But 2D is cool :-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#14]
Depends on the market:

Indie and Casual (and Freeware): 2D is alive and well, but required high standards.

Mainstream AAA: 3D all the way, again with very high standards.

My 2D games are certainly not "ignored" :-)