Must have mods for BMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Must have mods for BMax

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#1]
I would like to start a list of the most recommended modules that are out there for BMax. Maybe this can be made sticky for other people like me who are just starting to use them in their own projects.

If you have used any mods that you think deserve a mention or if you have made any yourself then please list them here. Please also state if the modules are free or if they need to be purchased.

Thanks for your time guys.

Jason.

Azathoth(Posted 2008) [#2]
I have alot of brucey's mods except for the wxMax ones.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Here's a list of some of the ones I've made, with links to them.

They cover quite a wide variety of areas, from internet, text handling, physics, sound, and databases...

All free, all documented, usually with some good examples of usage.

Documentation comes in the form of the Third Party Modules section of the IDE Help. Once the module is installed, just Rebuild Documentation and it should appear in there.

I'm all for a FULL list of available modules. Sometimes you just don't realise that someone has already made a module to do X. For example, I see the German forum tends to see modules that don't appear here.

Kev(Posted 2008) [#4]
i wrapped winblitz3d into a module Here its free to use, only supports windows though. There also blitzmax software protector, Here but this is not free.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'm not sure there are any "must have" modules. The modules you need really depend on what it is you're doing.

For me I've used REDi's MaxMod in the past although I'm going to switch to one of Brucey's ones for Magicville, I think. That's pretty much the only one I've ever used.

I also have Kev's Software Protector but haven't had cause or opportunity to use it, although from what I've seen its pretty good.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#6]
Like gfk says, it really depends on what you're doing.

That said, these seem particularly useful to me:

- Brucey's database modules
- pretty much all of Brucey's other modules
- PantsOn's Ogg Theora video rendering module
- D-bug's Chaos DesktopExt module
- Fabian's FMC window/system tray modules (Doesn't work properly with the latest versions of Blitzmax, unfortunately)
- Indiepath's Projection Matrix module
- Redi's MaxMod (Streaming audio + .mod/.s3m support)
- aco.mod farseeerphysics module

Kev: Is that a direct wrap of Blitz3D itself? Sounds a tad fishy...

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#7]
Kev: Is that a direct wrap of Blitz3D itself? Sounds a tad fishy...

No, it's a direct wrap of WinBlitz3D, his native Win32 GUI library for Blitz3D. He describes it in this sig.

Kev(Posted 2008) [#8]
@xlsior, im not wrapping blitz3d. Gabriel's correct the wrappers just winblitz3d usable in max :P

kev

jkrankie(Posted 2008) [#9]
the DesktopEXT module has been the only module i tend to use in all my products (well, i suppose i use an ini file handler too..).

Cheers
Charlie

Beaker(Posted 2008) [#10]
Etna is very good:
http://repeatuntil.online.fr/Etna/

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#11]
useful ones that i've used off the top of my head:

-Minib3d
-wxMax
-Chipmunk
-My particle module
-Brucey's xml modules
-Brucey's SQL modules
-Box2d
-FryGUI
-My high scoring module

And probably many more.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#12]
A customer of my Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework has turned it into a module for me, but I've yet to release it. If you are making a commercial game, I'd say it's "must have" ;-)

Azathoth(Posted 2008) [#13]
Any idea if or when you will release it?

Jur(Posted 2008) [#14]
It is easy to make Grey Aliens Framework importable (never done modules, but I think every importable code can be easily turned into module). I think everybody who is using it, should do it and not wait for official version. The speed increase of compiling when using imports is more than worth it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#15]
Azathoth: Next couple of months, before I move to Canada. It's already been done, I just need to find the time to test it and update it because I've changed the framework code since then. I still use Include which may seem dumb but I have the Quick Build option turned on which helps a bit.

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#16]
I believe Include doesn't matter even though you have Quick Build on. Unless the included code uses some Imports.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#17]
Yes that's true, but I do have a couple of imports (only small ones though), so converting it to a mod is the way to go.