Build options for rebuilding modules.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Build options for rebuilding modules.

CGV(Posted 2008) [#1]
What build options should be set for building/rebuilding the modules?

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#2]
I believe none. Blitzmax automatically compiles a release and debug version of a module.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
Rebuilding modules uses MinGW, not the Blitzmax compiler.

Or did you mean something else?

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#4]
True. But rebuilding the modules from MaxIDE (which was what I meant) makes sure a debug and release version of the module gets compiled.

Yan(Posted 2008) [#5]
/me slaps Gfk with a mystical orb.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#6]

It uses both, surely? Vast chunks of the modules are written in BlitzMax, so you can't compile them only with MinGW. (?)

As Htbaa says, you need both a debug and release build, and by default that's what you get. The other compiler options don't apply to a module. In short, if you're doing it from the IDE, you don't need to worry about settings. If you're doing it from the command line, you need to compile a debug build and a release build. Which I guess is -d and -r. But I think you're probably doing it from the IDE.

CGV(Posted 2008) [#7]
Okay great, I installed the maxgui module and did a 'rebuild all modules' from the ide before i realized I had debug build checked.

Otus(Posted 2008) [#8]
For calling bmk (from the command line), here's what the user guide says:

Makemods

The makemods operation builds a set of modules.

Makemods takes one optional argument: a module filter. This can be a module scope name (to build a subset of modules) or a fully qualified module name (to build an individual module). If the module filter is omitted, than all module are built.

Valid options for makemods are:
Option Effect
-d Build debug version. By default, both debug and release versions are built.
-r Build release version. By default, both debug and release versions are built.
-a Build all modules regardless of timestamps. By default, only modules that have been modified are built.

Some examples of makemods in action:

bmk makemods mymods
bmk makemods -a mymods.testmod

In addition, there are some undocumented ones that you can find out by studying at bmk source. For example, I think -g (target architecture - x86 or ppc) is for both makeapp and makemods.