using FA for multipatform support

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/using FA for multipatform support

christian223(Posted 2008) [#1]
I started using FA (framework assistant) for the first time yesterday and i encountered some problems.

First, i get many bmx files inspections repeated, like a thousand times each, i supose thats because of the imports i have on each file. Is there any way i can get all the bmx files of my game inspected only once and not a thousand times? (one time is enough for me... its hard to track them otherwise).

Second, i want to make my game multiplatform, pc mac linux, and i have noticed that FA gives me two choices, directx and opengl, what should i do to make my game multiplatform?.

Thanks a lot.

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
what should i do to make my game multiplatform?.
OpenGL.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#3]
what should i do to make my game multiplatform?.

It depends on your game. If you're doing nothing fancy (i.e. using built in BMax methods), why not use DX for windows and OpenGL for the other two?

christian223(Posted 2008) [#4]
Im not doing anything special at all, just using what Bmax provides, so how do i that exactly?.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#5]
I'd imagine something like:

?win32
SetGraphicsDriver D3D7Max2DDriver
?macos
SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver
?linux
SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver
?

christian223(Posted 2008) [#6]
Ok, thanks a lot :).

christian223(Posted 2008) [#7]
And another quesition: i noticed that there are many more options besides ?MacOs, ?Win32, etc, im just trying to make a casual game with nothing advanced for the most used platforms, should i worry to include all the others too?.

Edit:

I got another problem, when i try to use framework and import it says "Compile Error: 'Import' must appear at top of file", even in the firepaint example, when i switch places and i put the imports at the top above the framwork, it also get a lot of errors.

Edit2:
I was using "SetGraphicsDriver" just after framework, i copy pasted it below the imports in each ?platform and problems solved.

christian223(Posted 2008) [#8]
Question:

Reading the example 1.blf of the locale mod i found this:
The russian code for ten is "десять", my question is, when someone translates my game to russian, or chinese or japanese, how can i convert what they writte to this kind of coding?.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
Those are just character encodings for UTF-8. libxml will write them out like that, rather than their original 8/16/etc byte sequences.
Depending on what you are using to load the text (ie. directly via xml or plain-text files), you can use BlitzMax's text-loading functionality to load the bytes in correctly. Internally BlitzMax holds 16-byte character representations (as opposed to UTF-8).

christian223(Posted 2008) [#10]
This is what i where looking for, a way to convert characters to the utf-8 encoding:

http://rishida.net/scripts/uniview/conversion

So for example, a chinese person gives me the text in chinese language, but when i open my text editor to add that text in the xml file, i cannot just copy paste that text but convert the text to the proper coding, i was just looking for a way to make the convertion.
Thankyou.