Multilanguage game considerations

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Multilanguage game considerations

christian223(Posted 2008) [#1]
This is the first time i do a multilangage game, first time i have to work with writting/reading files too actually, i want to be able to easily change between spanish/english/german/french/chinese/japanese and so on, i have been investigating on how to do it and i wanted to ask if i am mising something, what i need is: use unicode, save files as numbers and not try to use unicode for file names, is there some kind of mod i can use to do this?, am i missing something else?.

Thankyou.

jsp(Posted 2008) [#2]
Logic Gui comes with an extra mod (LogicXML) for doing such stuff. It would allow you to have a multi-language gui automatically generated, but you can use it also for your own stuff inside the graphical part. A XML file is used to change between the different languages. You can initialize your application on start or during runtime. Check out the details (module commands) via my signature if interested.
There is also a demo video for the gui part available at:
http://jsp.logiczone.de/Videos/MultiLanguage.htm

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
And there's also the module, BaH.Locale ( http://brucey.net/programming/blitz/#bahlocale )

It's another XML-based thing, and works with ISO language codes - so it currently supports about 190 languages. For your language-choosing menus, it can display the name of the language in its own locale, rather than all in English, for example.

Also has it's own editor available (which supports CSV import/export - making it easier for third parties to add localisation).

And then there's wxLocale, which is built into the wxMax framework - probably a bit heavy for your needs in a game. It uses .po files, which are pretty much standard on Linux for building locale-savvy apps. There are many good editors available online too (for win/mac/linux) for creating and modifying .po files. It too is based on ISO language codes.

Or you can always implement your own, simpler version, for your specific needs :-)

christian223(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks a lot both!

It seems to me that BaH.Locale will be perfectly fine for me, thanks!.

A request though: since i dont have MaxGui or plan to buy it in the future, could it be posible if someone gave me the link to download the BFL Builder utility? Thankyou.