Key Combination beeping

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Key Combination beeping

Rico(Posted 2008) [#1]
Having trouble when I press multiple keys on my keyboard down in my game. This results in conatant beeping. It happens outside of Blitz too. I have trouble with S,X, and , beeping (if all 3 keys are pressed). S,X and J also do this, as do S,X, and K. Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it. Bit of a bummer if I want to write a multi-player game using the keyboard as input device.

Thanks - Rico

GfK(Posted 2008) [#2]
Keyboard buffer limitation. Not a lot you can do about it, other than add a 'redefine keys' option.

Digital Anime(Posted 2008) [#3]
Only fix is getting a keyboard which doesn't have this or what Gfk advises.

Here is some info about it :

http://www.dribin.org/dave/keyboard/html/

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#4]
It's a limitation present in most keyboards, and there is no fix, other than buying a keyboard without it... but even if you do, the vast majority of your customers will have the same problem.

It's an issue that goes back decades, and is due to technical limitations in the construction of the earlier keyboard standards, which persist to this day.

Those lock-outs are one of the main reasons why so many games use the control, alt and shift modifiers as a 'fire'-button or item selection and such -- those keys don't interfere with any other key, and are always safe to use.

Rico(Posted 2008) [#5]
OK - Thanks guys. Least I know what the problem is anyway. I'll figure something out

Rico