Loading Pictures as images.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Loading Pictures as images.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#1]
What is the best way to go about loading a very large image into memory for use? I'm making a program that works with photographs and modern cameras can take very large pictures. Now I have heard about splitting up images into a sort of divide and conquer method but are there other alternatives? It would appear that I cannot create DirectX surfaces large enough to load some of my digital photographs. Perhaps someone could shed some light on the subject. Would changing the driver to OpenGL help any?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
It would probably help if we knew what videocard you have and how large the largest of your images is. It could be a hardware limitation, but without knowing both of the above, it could equally be nothing of the sort.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#3]
My graphics card is built into my laptop and reads Ati Radeon Xpress 1100. This program is targeted towards multiple users beyond myself.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#4]
If this is a Windows only app, I would forget about using DX or OpenGL and consider using GDI for all of your graphics calls.

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#5]
Does this help?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#6]
Yes thank you! You have been very helpful.

If I try to create a large pixmap from a largo photo the program will crash. The image loader does work but deriving a large pixmap appears to be the trouble.