New Mac User

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/New Mac User

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#1]
Im having trouble getting the mods to build

"sh: gcc: command not found."

OS X Leopard 10.5.2
iMac7.1 Intel core 2 Duo
downloaded and installed Xcode 2.5 (as per forum posts)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
Does this help? http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41264

You have to install XCode. I got it off my OSX CD-ROM.

You've made some classic remakes. I didn't realise you did a Hunters Moon one or is that in progress along with Dan Dare?

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks for the link but I I went down that thread to first install what I needed. - Im sure I read on another thead to install version 2.5 instead of 3.0, which I did.

I have version 2.5 loaded - which was downloaded from the apple site.

yea hunters Moon is in test at the moment (and hopefully Mac'd) whilst dan dare is about 60% done I guess.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hmmm syncmods is also failing - according to all the forum posts this means I dont have Xcode installed but I have :S

Folder :-

Macintosh HD > Xcode 2.5

Im already hating this iMac :S

I've Downloaded it and installed it again. Still the same.

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#5]
try opening a terminal (in finder I think it is) and type locate gcc

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#6]
locate doesnt find GCC , but if I do a file search its found inside of xcode2.5/usr

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#7]
I'm not a mac user so my help may be limited in use (locate probably didn't work because updatedb needs to be run to update the file database).

but since you know where it is...

do
ls -l /usr/bin/gcc

if it doesn't show anything then it's not had a symbolic link added and you can create one with
ln -s /path/to/real/gcc /usr/bin/gcc

if it is there, make sure the path is correct.

I think
ls -al
will show you the symbolic link and it's target

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#8]
I get perminssion denied when I try that.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#9]
It cant be this hard to install ? - I take it I must have stuffed something up along the way ?

I downloaded Xcode2.5 and ran the Xcodetools.mpkg and ran thru install with no errors

Installed and patched Bmax.

Ive installed serveral times, each time putting the Xcode2.5 folder into the trash.

I have noticed that if I do customise that the Action next to dev tools is always upgrade ?

Perturbatio(Posted 2008) [#10]
I get perminssion denied when I try that.

You might need to add sudo in front of the commands to run them as root

It cant be this hard to install

I wouldn't have thought so since other people have had no trouble, maybe it's a conflict between your OSX version and xcode 2.5?

I don't really know about how to install it, other than the dmg should have worked.

simonh(Posted 2008) [#11]
Try installing 3.0 off the disc. It should work.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#12]
oo ooo oo mac version of your exile clone coming soon? :-D

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#13]
Yah it should be no more difficult than installing xcode as normal and then installing blitzmax and then doing a syncmods and then building modules and then exit the IDE and then you should be good to go.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#14]
Hey Ovine,

For Leopard, you want XCode 3, despite anything else you've heard on the forums. It should be on your Leopard DVD. There's also usually a small PDF in the same folder that shows you how to get it installed (which basically only requires you to double-click on the file, and follow the on-screen instructions).

Once the correct version of XCode is installed, you certainly won't need to do any file linking. It will *just work*.

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#15]
Rather than people blaming operating systems (in much the same manner as above I started cursing Vista during my recent Blitzmax install), wouldn't it be nice to have a set of definitive, up-to-date instructions detailing precisely how to install and compile Blitzmax on every platform? All in the one place. Without having to do a forum trawl and winding up either at an old post or offsite.

Surely it's in BRL's interest to make installing their software as easy as possible? Perhaps the correct installation instructions could come *with* the install package?

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#16]
Once the correct version of XCode is installed, you certainly won't need to do any file linking. It will *just work*.

But will your binaries still work on pre-Leopard Mac's as well?

IIRC that was the issue with the latest xcode...

jjsonick(Posted 2008) [#17]
Hmm, this could be a big problem for me, as I was considering upgrading to Leopard soon, but I need my Blitz Max apps to work on Tiger as well.

Can some people confirm that XCode 2.5 is sufficient for compiling Blitz Max apps on Leopard? Or, if XCode 3 is absolutely required, that the apps it produces don't break compatibility with Tiger?

I still have Tiger, obviously, so I'd be willing to test some apps compiled with Max/XCode 3 in Leopard.

JJ

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#18]
ok ive now installed xcode 3.0 which does allow me to sync the modules without an error but now when i rebuild the modules i get

Compiling:blitz.bmx
sh: /Applications/blitzmax/bin/fasm2as: No such file or directory
Fasm2as failed - please contact BRL!
Process complete

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#19]
Could it be this ?

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#20]
I tried installing 1.20 and saw fasm2 installed ion the bin folder - I then installed 1.22 upto 1.28 but found that the fasm was actually deleted

so I installed 1.20 again and copied out fasm - ran 1.28 update then copied it back in.

point of note 1.26 is no longer a valid update.

So to other new users with Lepoard and an iMac (well thats my setup)

Load and install Xcode 3.0
Load 1.18
update with 1.20
copy fasm2 out of the BIN folder
install 1.28
copy fasm back into the BIN folder

compiles and run (at last)

thanks for all the posts - hopefully this thread helps others...... now to get my games compiled

jjsonick(Posted 2008) [#21]
OvineByDesign, when you compile something with your new Xcode 3.0 setup, can you post a link to it here? I'd like to test an app compiled that way out in Tiger, since there's apparently issues that can occur with Xcode 3.0 compiles and Tiger (see for instance, http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=375820 - there's apparently 'backward compatibility' settings, but I don't know if Blitz uses those when compiling).

I'd of course like to see that there's no compatibility issues. :)

JJ

jjsonick(Posted 2008) [#22]
OK, I see my question is actually answered here by Mark Sibly:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73895

The basic reply is that a backwards-compatibility fix for BMax on Leopard is on its way, but until then, compiling on Tiger is the safest way to ensure you game works in both Tiger and Leopard.

So I guess I'll be putting off the Leopard upgrade for while (or be looking for a cheap laptop to keep a Tiger install on).

JJ