2d array as a type object

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2d array as a type object

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#1]
does this make sense to have a type, with a 2d array for say level map data, or is this going about it the wrong way programmatically.

basically i have a number a levels for a game, all different sizes, thats easy, so i was wanting to make an object that has an array as it main focus, with methods that can be used on it to erase, randomise, draw line, squares , spray brushes with different tiles.

does that seem the way to do it or should i have a global array and have a type with funtions in it to effect that array...

still trying to get my head around how far to go with the oob concept...

cheers

Jake L.(Posted 2008) [#2]
It depends on your favorite coding style, but a TMap sounds like a good idea. I would it do the same way.

REDi(Posted 2008) [#3]
DREAM, yeah thats a pretty good way to handle tilemaps/level data ect.

Jake, TMap sounds like a good idea for what?

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#4]
what am i doing wrong here now???

Graphics 1024,768,0,75',32

Type Tmap

Local levelmap:Int [][]

levelmap=levelmap[100]

For i=0 To 100
levelmap=levelmap[i][100]
Next

Method init()
	For x=0 To 100
		For y=0 To 100
			levelmap [x][y]=Rand(0,1)
		Next
	Next		
End Method

Method drawmap()
	For x=0 To 100
		For y=0 To 100
			If levelmap [x][y]=1
				SetColor 255,0,0	
			Else
				SetColor 0,255,0
			EndIf
			DrawRect x*16,y*16,16,16,1
		Next
	Next	
End Method

End Type

tmap.init()

Repeat 

Cls
	tmap.drawmap()
Flip

Until Keydown(key_escape)

REDi(Posted 2008) [#5]

Sorry, dont have time to explain the changes right now, but it'll give you something to study. (maybe somebody else can give you some pointers on what you did wrong in your original code)

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#6]
TMap sounds like a good idea

A TMap is a hash table-like data structure and has nothing inherently to do with tilemaps (which is crushing news, I know, but it turns out that TMaps are cool in their own way). Personally I wouldn't use 'TMap' as the name of a custom type, if only to spare those who who follow in search of information on actual TMaps (hi!). They're cursing you right now.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#7]
tmap is no hash table like data structure. its a balanced binary tree based dictionary data structure

Sledge(Posted 2008) [#8]
Well it associates a key with an entry, like a hash table does (apparently). You can go ahead and educate me on the finer details, though, because it was a new data structure on me with Max and I find it quite quirky (in a good way).

EDIT: For clarity. And to add: DREAM! Wasn't it you guys who gave away some old pixel gfx back in the BlitzCoder days? Really enjoyed playing around with it if it was, so cheers!

Jake L.(Posted 2008) [#9]
Sorry for confusing everyone, with TMap I did not refer to BRL.TMap but to a TTypeThatHandlesMyMapNeeds type.

DREAM(Posted 2008) [#10]
yeah sledge that would be us......inventivedreams......it would of been my brothers artwork, he does the art i do the code......we still work together... just both now have full time jobs.....and that takes most of our game making away but we are still making stuff, we are trying to future proof what we do now so we can do a mass release, well by mass 4-6 games at once hopefully all with editors, two with addon capabilities and a few special editions.......anyway gotta get my head into this oob idea i get it its just changing from Blitz3d syntax to max.......feels like its twisting my head...lol

with The Tmap maybe i should of used Tlevmap or something sorry about that....anyway thanks for the advice much appreciated...