Alternate IDE

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Alternate IDE

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#1]
I know that this has been asked before but what IDE would you guys recommend using with BMax? I see that there are now some good ones about since I last looked, BLIde and Project Studio both look great. I plan to try both but am looking for a few opinions on each from anyone that has spent some time with either. Is it worth installing .NET just to use these IDEs?

Also which version of .NET would I have to install 3.0, 2.0 or 1.0? Just 3.0 I assume?

Oh, and finally the specs of Project Studio seem quite high, will it work on a 1.5ghz machine with 512mb?

Thanks for any help,

Jason.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#2]
Jason,

Project Studio should work fine, just give it a try! If it appears a little slow, turn off some of the mods in the intellisense that you know you won't be using.

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#3]
OK will do. Thanks for the speedy reply :)

Will the latest .NET work OK (Version 3.0) or do I have to use version 2.0 specifically?

Just one more question, when do you expect to release the Pro version?

(I bet you are sick of hearing that question ;)

Jason.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#4]
Jason,

Yes, should work fine with version 3.0 (and 3.5) which are just library extensions for 2.0.

The pro version is not too far away now (my problem is a like to have everything working perfectly - very anal to be honest, but if people are buying it...)

I've just released a new version, so we'll see how this new version goes - if all reports back Ok, I'll release it.

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#5]
Great, thanks for the help and it`s good to know that you are commited to your project :) Hope it does well for you.

I`m off to give it a spin now.

Jason.

TwoCorin517(Posted 2008) [#6]
I tried BLIDE and I've been loving it. if you can figure out the whole "projects" thing.

ziggy(Posted 2008) [#7]
Next BLIde version will have a new project mode called 'Solutions' that will work much more close to the Visual Studio Solutions or Microsoft IDEs.
I would suggest you to take a look to BLIde too, just to make the final decision on wich IDE fits best with the way you code. You know, IDEs are like clothes, it doesn't matter if they are well done and pretty, they also have to make you feel comfortable... Both Project Studio and BLIde (IMHO) are great ides for Windows. There are also other good options such as the BlitzMax Comunity IDE or UltraEdit

Matthew Smith(Posted 2008) [#8]
Very true ziggy!

QuickSilva(Posted 2008) [#9]
Don`t worry, I will check out BLide too :)

Jason.