C64 game conversion

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/C64 game conversion

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hiya guys,

I am new to all this BlitzMax malarky, even though I joined the forums a few years ago.

Basically, I joined after I did some resource graphics for the old Blitz (sprites, tiles etc that came with the installation and some mock screens for the back of the box). I installed the old Blitz, but never got round to doing anything with it due to work and lack of time.

Anyway, a few years later, I now have the urge to pull my finger out and get into BlitzMax programming and am dedicated to getting at least one game done in 2008.

So, what am I asking?

Well, I'm after advice. I did a very simple game on the Commodore C64 years ago that was released by Double Density. If I were to do a BlitzMax remake, what are the connotations of that?

Double Density owned the copyright, but I suspect Double Density are long gone. So, would there be any problems if I were to remake the game and release it? I, after all, did write the original game.

Just wondered if u guys (and gals??) could offer any guidance.

I imagine it'll take me a while to get to grips with BlitzMax as I'm not a programmer, I'm an artist. I just used to dabble with 6502 back in the day. I haven't really programmed at all since then and am finding it all a little daunting to be honest.

Well, if anyone can advise me on the issues that might be involved with remaking my own c64 game with BMax, that would be great.

Cheers mi dears :)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
Depends on if someone actually bought double density back then. because if so, then someone owns the rights now.

if you do not sell it thought, it shouldn't be a problem.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#3]
I can't find any info on Double Density, but it looks like they haven't released anything for about 15 years.

Does anyone know what became of Double Density?

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#4]
So, which game did you make?

* Motorhead, 1989
* No Mercy, 1989
* Artillery '90, 1990
* Cyrus, 1990
* Dynamoid, 1990
* Elite Squad, 1990
* Firepit, 1990(?)
* Jump Out, 1990
* Orbit, 1990
* Puzzle Shuffle, 1990
* Western Contest, 1990
* Greystorm, 1991
* Ikarus, 1991(?)
* Mark, Set, Go, 1991
* Montrix, 1991
* Plural, 1991
* Josh, 1992
* Patternia, 1992
* Pair of Memory, 1993
* Roll Over, 1994

Just curious?

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#5]
LOL! None of those. That site u got that list from doesn't show all DD games.

My game was Hektic II. Hardly an impressive game, but it might be a good one to remake to ease me into BlitzMax.

http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1168

I did do another game too, but I refuse to mention that cos the graphics were so terrible, as was the game! Still, I got a couple of grand for it, so I guess it was worthwhile at the time.

hehe

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
cool. Well roy if you managed to code assembly on the C64 (I did too LDA, LDX and all that) then you should find BMax a breeze :-)

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#7]
Cheers Grey! However, it's been a good 15 years since I did coding (mostly in a machine code monitor LOL!), so I almost feel like I'm starting at the beginning.

Well, almost.

The nearest I've been to programming in a long time is mel scripting for Maya, but only simple scripts.

I've just been to the fairway solitaire thread. Excellent work! I must say, the BlitzMax Game Framework sounds very interesting. I'll no doubt be making that purchase as I imagine it'll save me much heartache!

I am still right at the beginning though and am currently just running the time trial of BlitzMax. I am impressed with it, so will be making a purchase of the full thing. I might as well let the time trial run out though :)

Again, I congratulate you on Fairway Solitaire. If I ever manage to make anything half as polished as that, I'll be a happy little art monkey. :)

Also, can I reiterate:

Does anyone know what happened to Double Density? Are they dead and buried?

Roy :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks! BMax is great, so easy to use. I used Assembly for ages on C64/BBC/Spectrum and Amiga, then I got BltizBasic 2 on the Amiga and I never looked back. It allowed me to have fun creating games instead of grinding through assembly and bugs.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2007) [#9]
i've been doing remakes now for the past 4 or 5 years......

using blitz and indeed max makes things very simple indeed you should be knocking out games in no time

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
Don't be so modest, you are the KING of remakes :-D

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#11]
Does that mean I'll have to aspire to be the queen of remakes?

Not sure I'm happy with that :)

Oh go on then.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#12]
How about being the Emperor, like from a different hierarchical setup?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#13]
Tempting it is to turn to the Dark Side of the remakes.

SausageOfDoom(Posted 2007) [#14]
Please! No Star Wars quotes! LOL!