can't syncmod axe modules with vista

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/can't syncmod axe modules with vista

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#1]
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I'm not quite sure if it is really a bug, so I don't want to put it in the bug section, but I can't think of anywhere else to put this.
I just bought a new computer with Vista Home installed and I thought I'd install BlitzMAX. I installed v1.18 first, then the 1.26 upgrade. I then tried to do a syncmod and everything seemed to be going fine until it tried to sync the axe modules. I recieved this error message:
Synchronizing: axe
Connecting to server: www.blitzbasic.com/modserver126
Receiving: axe.win32maxgui
Unhandled Memory Exception Error
Process complete

I already tried a search, but there were no results from the search option, so forgive me if I'm the 20th person to ask this question. :)

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#2]
Ok, I right-clicked the IDE and "Run as Administartor," and that fixed the problem. Kind of strange since the other modules synced fine.
Funny thing is, I'm logged in as administrator! :)
Now I guess I need to figure out where this UAE thing (or whatever it's called) is so I can disable it. Any other headaches I can expect with Vista? :)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
Even disabled UAC will not solve the "run as administrator" issue. You can believe to login as whatever you want but you aren't really using administrator rights until the run as is set.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#4]
Disabeling the UAC will only get rid of those "allow/deny" popups, but won't do anything for cases where it doesn't actively ask you for permission (like here)

Part of Vista's new security system is that even administrator doesn't have automatica permission to do everything, but at least has the ability to grant itself that right (run as administrator)

If you do want to disable UAC (not that it would have made a difference here), you can simply go to the control panel -> users. There's a 'disable UAC' option in there. (Which I believe is system wide, not just for your own account)