Direct x 7

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Direct x 7

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#1]
Windows Requirements: Windows Vista/XP/2K/ME/98; Hardware OpenGL support recommended; DirectX7 or greater recommended.

Could be a silly question, but what does blitzmax use direct x 7 for, I guessing you have the choice not to use it because of the cross format thing?

klepto2(Posted 2007) [#2]
Blitzmax provides 2 different drivers for Max2D on windows.

OpenGL and DirectX7, (a user made mod also makes DirectX9 available)

You can choose the driver with the command:
SetGraphicsDriver()

A common crossplattform solution would be

SuperStrict

Framework brl.max2d

?win32
Import brl.d3d7max2d
?linux
Import brl.glmax2d
?mac
Import brl.glmax2d
?

'...
'... Maybe other stuff
'...

?win32
SetGraphicsDriver(D3D7Max2DDriver() ) 
?linux
SetGraphicsDriver(GLMax2DDriver() ) 
?mac
SetGraphicsDriver(GLMax2DDriver() ) 
?

'common code
'...

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#3]
You would have the choice to get serious compatibility problems on Windows as well due to the "crossplattform" (opengl) thing :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#4]
thanks klepto2.

Dreamora: Is open Gl performance in windows really that bad?

these people dont think so
http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/

i guess its down to the drivers or Installable Client Driver (ICD) as they call it in the article above.

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#5]
DirectX does more than just graphics, remember.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#6]
No. It's just FUD.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#7]

It *can* be -- it's greatly depending on the video card and rivers used. On some systems OpenGL is equal or better than DirectX. On others it is much slower than directX (especially when using low-end video adapters)

Since DirectX is the official Microsoft standard, they're not exactly going out of their way to facilitate OpenGL.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#8]
Since DirectX is the official Microsoft standard, they're not exactly going out of their way to facilitate OpenGL.
Also, since DirectX 10.1 is the officially supported API, Microsoft aren't exactly going out of their way to facilitate DirectX 7 either.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
Equal and better then DX: On NVIDIA for sure, on ATI unless you are on vista where it varies between having glitches and straight crashes

Worse: any onboard. They normally fall back into Microsoft 1.1 emulation on XP and straight crash on Vista (where MS didn't add a system level opengl emulation)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#10]
http://www.opengl.org/pipeline/article/vol003_9/

an interesting read on open gl in windows

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#11]
funny enough that it does not hold true.

"Exactly the same as on XP" is just plain wrong as on XP, Microsoft provided a software emulation layer for OpenGL 1.1 in case the card does not provide a driver (don't think that Microsofts writes drivers for Intel)

But yeah, if you have a good driver, OpenGL definitely benefits of the redesigned driver ... sadly, older cards which lack specific features needed for WDDM certification like the Intel GMA900 will not be able to use OpenGL at all on Vista even thought they are part of Vista Capable Systems, because the OpenGL driver is part of that and they only can use XPDM drivers. (why I know: because my tablet is one of those Vista Capables with a GMA900 and Max2D just crashes out in gl mode)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#12]
nvidia and ati will have to sort out opengl drivers that are stable and quick for vista because so many 3d apps use opengl for there viewports and real time rendering. including my app of choice Cinema4d.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#13]
NVIDIA has ... ATI is trying now for 10 months but not really succeeding. too focused on reducing the distance to NVIDIA with their drivers.

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#14]
dam ive got a x1950pro