What Should I Do

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/What Should I Do

FBEpyon(Posted 2007) [#1]
Well, I posted this once before, but im not sure why it would of gotten taken off the forum..

Im just trying to find out what you think would be the best way to go about with using a 3D platform game, should i use full 3d modeled worlds or make a mapeditor...

deps(Posted 2007) [#2]
I suggest that you go the 3d modeled approach. Saves time. :)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#3]
There were server issues which resulted in posts going missing so yours could have been a victim of that. On the other hand you have posted in the Bmax Beginners area. Is that right? What 3D Bmax engine are you using? Personally, I would use a 3D Map Editor difficult to say without knowing what style of platformer you're going for.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#4]
I replied to your earlier post which was lost (lost some of mine too!) -

If you do it in a 3d modeling program you can use it totally as your editor. For example you could place a cube named 'playerstartlocation' in the model which has an alpha value of 0 so that it is not displayed but which you can parse through the objects in your loading section of your code and then place the player at that location. That is one example, but it can be used for all manners of things like pathfinding, power ups, enemy locations/spawn points, doors etc.