Can't "Synchronize Modules" on laptop.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Can't "Synchronize Modules" on laptop.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm really starting to hate the whole online update system. Recently I've had to reinstall bmax. I first installed the latest full release then installed the newest update. This went fine. The problem is that my MaxGUI module now needs to be reinstalled. I'm running Windows Vista Basic on a laptop computer. I have disabled my firewall and made sure that I have a solid internet connection. I know that I am using the correct username and password also. I tried without success to just take the MaxGUI folder and put it where it should go. It did not work so I took it back out. When I try to sync modules I get the following message:

Synchronize Modules
Synchronizing: brl
Failed to connect to www.blitzbasic.com/modserver126
Synchronizing: pub
Failed to connect to www.blitzbasic.com/modserver126

Process complete

This is very annoying. I've paid some decent money for something that must be redownloaded for every time I update my program. I would much prefer module updates that installed like the normal updates rather than running updates from the compiler.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#2]
Are you able to see anything if you open http://www.blitzbasic.com/modserver126 directly in a webbrowser, or does that also result in an error?

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#3]
I can view the page in my browser fine.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#4]
Welcome to the world of vista.
Might sound hard but the network problems of Vista are a known problem in the whole world and all I can suggest is:

Go into admin account
execute maxide as admin (right click, run as administrator)
disable UAC until Vista SP1 is released

Floyd(Posted 2007) [#5]
For a possible quick fix ( assuming you have a working intallation on another PC ) try copying all \mod\brl.mod folders with gui as part of their name.

I doubt you need e.g. cocoamaxgui, but it can't hurt.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#6]
I get the same problem with my laptop too and this fu... vista..

http://blitzbasic.com/modserver128/ work correctly under the
browser, but not under the ide with a sync mod.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#7]
run the ide as administrator (right click)

disable UAC

and do NOT, for whatever reason, INSTALL BM INTO PROGRAM FILES
unless you are asking for trouble

Oh and don't forget to set the firewall rules correctly for the BMK and potentially checking the network security rules

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#8]
Have you read the thread that details how to get BlitzMax to work under Vista? I can't find the link right now, but it may answer all your questions.

Also, I've got BlitzMax installed in Program Files and have no problems at all. I do have UAC turned off though, and only turn it on to test final builds, etc.

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#9]
Turning off the UAC before installing BlitzMax, and installing it from an administrative account fixes this. You may disable UAC everytime you update BlitzMax, syncmods or whatever. And all this things have to be done from an administrative account. This is the wonderful world of Vista... :(

amaranth(Posted 2008) [#10]
Sorry if I'm digging up a dead topic, but I'm having the same problem.

I'm logged in as administrator, I've installed BlitzMax to Amandas Programs, a folder not in Program Files. I'm running XP on a laptop. I don't have a regular PC, so I don't have the option of installing to a PC and moving my files over to my laptop. The error message I am getting looks like this:

Synchronize Modules
Synchronizing: brl
Failed to connect to www.blitzbasic.com/modserver118
Synchronizing: pub
Failed to connect to www.blitzbasic.com/modserver118

Process complete

amaranth(Posted 2008) [#11]
Found the problem. I just purchashed and I didn't realize I needed to upgrade v1.18 to the latest version to get the synch to work.