2D and 3D within the same interface

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2D and 3D within the same interface

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#1]
Most of the time I make 2D apps. So taking a step towards 3D is new for me. I'm looking at developing an interface for a game that has some 3D elements. In fact, it would be 2 3D scenes rendered independently from each other and then merged with a 2D background.

My questions are: Since Max2D uses OpenGL, can you use 2D and 3D at the same time? If so, where can I look to find out more about this? If not, is there a way to do it?

Thanks.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#2]
Max2D uses OpenGL or DirectX depending on what you select and is really 3d. But basicly to answer your queation. Yes.
However I would NOT use Max2D at all if I was going to do 3D stuff either via openGL or one of the 3D engines that are about

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#3]
I was thinking of Leadwerks but I'm not sure how easy it is to use the engine.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#4]
If you use a 3rd party 3d engine you must use it as well to do the 2D stuff. you can not mix max2d with it.

exception here would be minib3d

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#5]
Does MiniB3D allow for mixing Max2D and MiniB3D calls?

impixi(Posted 2007) [#6]
Does MiniB3D allow for mixing Max2D and MiniB3D calls?

Not natively. However, there is a simple hack that facilitates it:

Max2D in MiniB3D v0.41

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#7]
2D is just the same as 3D but without rotation on the X or Y planes, and no perspective correction. As said, OpenGL can do both. You can even put 3D rectangles pointing toward the camera (billboarding) and even if perspective is present they will still look 2D, unless you move through Z.

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thank you, everyone. I'll try the MiniB3D and see how performance goes with it. Thanks again.