Database help

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Database help

DCI(Posted 2007) [#1]
Ok, im working on a game.. the basic premise of the game: players start out, pick a quadrent of space (which will consist of well over 5k planets) they find one they like, and begin setting up a colony. building buildings, infrastructure, mining for minerals. etc. building combat units. researching stuff.. this game will have multiple people playing at once, but only if their in combat with one another, .

When a player gathers resources enough to build say, an apartment building.. based on the amount of workers they have, and the conditions of the planet, and the size of the building, i was thinking of having the system do the math, and then, set a date for completion. for the purpose of my explaination, lets say, it will be complete on june 2nd at 3:01 am.. its june 1st now, real time..

These buildings under construction by all of the various players, on various planets, i was thinking, could reside on a single database.. the server program, would watch this database.. and when the time rolls around. it would place the building where it should be, on that planet, and zone's map (and data base) and then clear it, from the under construction database.

what i need, are tutorials on how to work with databases with blitz, how to organize the data, how to read and write entries from the database, and how to search the database. im a relitive newbie to programming.. i used to be an ace with Basica back when i was in highschool.. lol been almost 14 years now. please help! too many tutorals talk about "player entities" when im making more of an empire building/ real time strategy game dealing with ALOT of player controlled pieces.. as well as AI.

i REALLY need help.. please!

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
Beginner Tutorial: Using SQLite with BlitzMax
SQLiter Tutorial
might help

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#3]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73327
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=73328

:(

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#4]
These buildings under construction by all of the various players, on various planets, i was thinking, could reside on a single database.
Before you go any further, I'd suggest you get some experience in database design first. The task ahead of you is not as trivial as you may think. Just a quick estimate of the amount of data you're working on would suggest that you need at least a SAN or something to be able to handle the traffic.