pixmap.readpixel(x,y)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/pixmap.readpixel(x,y)

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#1]
I currently need to take the RGB values from a pixel within a pixmap. I don't really understand the value given from this function or how to convert and extract the RGB values from the output.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#2]
It's prolly ARGB or something.

B=value&$FF
G=(value shr 8)&$FF
R=(value shr 16)&$FF
A=(value shr 24)&$FF

or something.. :P

sandav(Posted 2007) [#3]
curiously enough, I had to figure out the very same thing today. In a pixmap, color data is stored as a 32 bit integer. which means 8 bits(ie a number from 0 to 255) for each channel from scrounging the forums I have found that most people use hex numbers rather than binary or decimal numbers to represent this integer.

bits 24-31 pixel alpha
bits 16-23 pixel red
bits 8-15 pixel green
bits 0-7 pixel blue

the readpixel function returns this 32 bit number.
if you print the result of readpixel it will likely be large negative number. I have no idea why it's negative, but if you print it enclosed in the bin() function, you will see the actual bits, the first 8 of which are alpha, the second 8 red etc... I made some code to show how to extract the rgb values. Hope that helps
Function rgb(pixelValue%)
	Local r%, g%, b%
	pixelValue = ($00ffffff & pixelvalue) 'gets rid of the alpha bits making the number make sense
	r = pixelvalue/$10000
	pixelValue = ($00ffff & pixelvalue) 'removes the r value
	Print r
	g = pixelvalue/$100
	Print g
	pixelValue = ($00ff & pixelvalue) 'removes the g value leaving only b
	b = pixelvalue
	Print b
EndFunction

H&K(Posted 2007) [#4]
//

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#5]
Thanks, I got it working with all the help. Now my heightmaps can be read and rendered from textures.