Just another music thread (xm, mod, mo3, it...)

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Just another music thread (xm, mod, mo3, it...)

steph(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

I'd like to have some music in my projects but would prefer smaller formats than ogg or wav like music in protracker II - format (.xm), impulse tracker (.it) or even mo3s.

Are there any ways but using fmod to do this? BASS is no solution as BASS doesn't offer linux support and has the same downside as fmod (=expensive for any commercial use).

Searching through the forum I found some threads about a module called MaxMod, but the links to the module are all dead.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
If you do commercial use with it you might consider assuming that others want to be payed for their work as well.

IE: I don't know any free module that allows you commercial usage for this kind of support in BM, especially not crossplattform.

Bremer(Posted 2007) [#3]
This might be useful http://ufmod.sourceforge.net/

It includes a blitzmax module and it plays .xm tracker tunes.

steph(Posted 2007) [#4]
Fmod is a great and easy to use library (and the use of it in various commercial titles like World of Warcraft, The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind proofs it usefullness) but 100$ per product AND platform + limitations on ways for distribution and your products price doesn't make it the no.1 choice for small cross platform projects, especially if you do not know if you want to sell them at a later time or not.

-----------

Thank you very much zawran

MGE(Posted 2007) [#5]
huh? Bass expensive???

"The "shareware" licence allows the usage of BASS in an unlimited number of your shareware products, which must sell for no more than 40 Euros each. If you're an individual making and selling your own software (and its price is within the limit), this is the licence for you."

edit, sorry..you said commercial. In that case you'll be able to aford it right? ;)

steph(Posted 2007) [#6]
You are right about BASS.
Somehow my head told me they had a quite similar licence model as fmod.

"Shareware licence: €100
The "shareware" licence allows the usage of BASS in an unlimited number of your shareware products, which must sell for no more than 40 Euros each. If you're an individual making and selling your own software (and its price is within the limit), this is the licence for you."

Sounds pretty good compared to the fmod-licence.

"edit, sorry..you said commercial. In that case you'll be able to aford it right? ;)"

Meh, I did think about shareware products as well as some sort of "adgame" for a (very) small company.
English is not my native language (and i am pretty poor at it), so please forgive my insufficient choice of words. :-)

popcade(Posted 2007) [#7]
If you want the bass interfacing code, you can serach the forum or I can post it.

And, by the way, I made an interfacing code for Audiere, it's LGPL and allows you to use in commercial game FOR FREE!

(Audiere work as an Audio Engine like FMOD/BASS but it's free LGPL based)

If anyone request it I'll post it up, I don't post it unless a request was made.

Big&(Posted 2007) [#8]
Would love to see the Bass and Audiere interface yoko, if you wouldnt mind.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#9]
You need a commercial license for Bass if you accept any kind of CD distribution deal. I know because I asked the author. You could well find that a small deal in a European country earns you less than the cost of a single product commercial license for Bass, so you could well be out of pocket before you even start.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#10]
They better would adopt a similar "naming and funding range" sheme as GarageGames thought.
Indie and commercial.
Indie means you or you and your publisher earn less than 250k USD per year, everything above means Pro ...
Even dummies understand that and it makes both less vulnerable to "your license clearly specifies "distribution for less than 40$", it does not mention anything on the funding or distribution sheme" like BASS which would, if above descripting was correct, clearly allows even distribution through EA if it is sold for less than 40$ with the shareware license.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#11]
There's also MaxMod, an excellent free mod/xm/s3m player for BlitzMax. Search the forums, and you'll find some download links.