music...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/music...

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#1]
what does BMAX have asfar as music playing abilitys? i'm trying to load a MP3 with loadsound, with the loop flag and when i try to play it, error springs up, i checked and triple check the file name ect, and it doesnt work... Any ideas?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
MP3 is a license based format, unless you own one you can't use it.
For that reason BM only support OGG, not MP3

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#3]
Under 'Modules / Audio / Audio Playback'
BlitzMax contains native support for sound files in both .wav (uncompressed) and .ogg (compressed) file formats.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#4]
hmm, any .ogg file recorders? that work off of microphone? something simple, almost like the std. 'Sound recorder', all i'm doing is holding a microphone up to a sound source to capture it. nothing fancy needed except for the ability to save .ogg files

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#5]
Audacity

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#6]
You can record to wav and encode it to ogg similar to mp3

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#7]
Dreamora how do you do that? tony, i will search for it

MGE(Posted 2007) [#8]
"MP3 is a license based format, unless you own one you can't use it."

Actually the MP3 license for playback is much more liberal than that, especially for small indie developers. Take a look at this page here:

http://mp3licensing.com/royalty/games.html

You'll see at the bottom no license fee is needed if you're selling less than 5000 copies and if you sell more than 5000 copies you only need to pay $2500.00 per title. And quite frankly, if you sell more than 5000 copies, that's a small amount to pay. ;)

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#9]
You'll see at the bottom no license fee is needed if you're selling less than 5000 copies
Boy did you read that wrong. No license is needed if you distribute less than 5000 copies. At a 0.8% conversion rate, that's about 40 copies sold.

And quite frankly, if you sell more than 5000 copies, that's a small amount to pay. ;)
Really? Let's do the math. Just to break even, you'd have to earn more than 60 bucks for each sold copy. Since portals are going to take at least half of your money (and tax is gonna take half of what's left), you're looking at a retail price for indie games at about $150 USD (depending on which country you pay taxes in). Still think you're gonna get that 0.8% conversion rate? No. It just dropped to 0. So basically you're out $2500 USD before you sell your first copy. Sure if you've got the next The Sims or Mario Brothers, you might be able to afford to throw money around like that. If not, play it safe and use the open, free and most importantly superior format.

The idea that paying any amount of money for obsolete technology is somehow a good deal is hard for me to comprehend. The idea that you shouldn't keep said money for yourself is even harder. Buying middleware is perfectly acceptable, provided it saves you time and/or money. But licensing the right to use MP3 technology is just stupid - even more so because apart from the monetary cost, it'll also cost you time to integrate it into BlitzMAX.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#10]
hmm... I went through this years ago when I was with another company, but you are correct the termonology used is diffrerent now. I've emailed them to confirm. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#11]
The term has been like this for years I fear.
I guess after to many free players with MP3 support basing on the WMP COM component for VB and the like appeared.

The only difference is that the per game license is definitely smaller than it used to be.
But only on that. If you create media players or generally applications, they are still insanely high and that although you need MP3 Pro to get a similar quality / mb ratio as with OGG

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#12]
Audacity works great, event lets you mix music, import/export, sound effects ect... very powerful for freeware

peltazoid(Posted 2007) [#13]
DBpoweramp is a good audio file converter (has plug ins for most formats) and is free unless you want mp3 encoder support

it is also transparent, integrates into the context menus in explorer.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm