"Windows cannot access the specified ..."

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/"Windows cannot access the specified ..."

eindbaas(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm having some troubles with running my compiled programs on other machines. This is the error-message that appears:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Does anybody know what it means and how i can solve it?

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#2]
it probably means you're referring to a location that doesn't exist on the other machines.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yep.

When you are loading things in. Ie Textures or sounds, Its generaly a good idea to make the load Path relative to the instal path, and not absolute.

eindbaas(Posted 2007) [#4]
Hmmm, I don't use external files except for some .bmx-files i include, but that can't be it can it? Aren't they compiled into the one executable i have?

When i copy the .exe to another location on my own machine and run it from there, it works fine.

eindbaas(Posted 2007) [#5]
btw, i use blide...but i don't think that's part of the problem

Dabz(Posted 2007) [#6]
Are you writing any files to disk, maybe you have hardcoded a file path by accident?

I'd definitly look through all the include files too.

Dabz

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#7]
Well, it can be a Vista issue. does the EXE file have 'run' permission to everybody? Does this error appears at runtime or the exe doesn't even start execution?

Also, be sure to not be using any external DLL that is currently on your system PATH (b3dsdk.dll, newton.dll or whatever) and not on everybody's system path.