Frameworks for BlitzMax?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Frameworks for BlitzMax?

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi.

I'm new to the world of Blitz game development. I'm looking for a framework that would be suitable to making a simple RPG game. I've run across Grey Alien but I'd like to know if there are any other production level frameworks out there for comparison or if there are any genre specific expansions for the Grey Alien Framework.

Thanks.

James

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'm afraid that I don't have any genre specifc expansions for my framework. I'd love to make a platform one though (and maybe an RPG one), but that's far away at the moment.

MGE has a framework that seems pretty good, but again no genre expansions that I know of.

Don't think there are any others, but I could be wrong.

Sswift has some good modules but again no genre things.

What would be nice with such an expansion would be editors of course, LOTS of editors so that you hardly even need to code :-)

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#3]
*nod* Thanks. I just sent you an e-mail with a quick question about your framework.

Well, I don't mind non-genre specific -- it would be nice to have but not necessary if the building blocks are there. Just wishful thinking. :)

MGE(Posted 2007) [#4]
If I was diving into making an RPG, I would 100% use one of the commercial toolkits available. Search on "RPG Maker" or similar phrase in Google, etc. Creating an RPG engine from scratch is no small task, regardless of coding experience. Just my 2bits.... ;)

Apollonius(Posted 2007) [#5]
MGE's right, it's not easy. I'm developing one very very slowly for my own use and my own future first game serie... and with my monkey coding skills(crappy skills) it will take awhile but it's my dream so all my energy goes to it. N I AINT GIVING UP! :D

H&K(Posted 2007) [#6]
I would be tempted, if makeing a RPG, to make it in NWN toolkit. And MOD NWN to whatever new rule set I wanted.
Im not absolutly positive, but dont they now allow shipping of the first engine with Expansion packages?
Because if they do, it wouldnt be limeting your market to just previous owners

Obviously, if you are making a RPG because you want to learn to program, and RPGs are you fav genre then continue in Bmax. If on the otherhand you just want to write a series of RPG adventures, then you could do worse than take advantage of the NWN stuff.

EDIT: And before anyone tells me off for implying anything about anyones skills, I think MODing is just as hard as programming

MGE(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi Apollo, I respect the fact you're sticking with it. I've seen so many RPG's come and go. They seem to test the coder's "sanity" over a period of time. Because it takes so long before you can actually "design" your game, the "engine design" process is probably 80-90% of your time. For my first RPG, I would use an off the shelf tool, then based on my needs as a game designer I would then decide if a custom tool is required for the next project. ;) Speaking of RPGs, seems like they are slowly building up interest again, I'm talking the classic Zelda kind btw. ;)

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#8]
I plan to release the game commercially so I don't want to use something like NWN.

I have considered RPG MakerXP, GameMaker, TGB and a couple other Indie-level tool kits. Each have their limitations. I have certain design requirements that I'd like to have and either these tools do not meet those requirements or they are too combersume to implement with them or lack the necessary support. Also, some of them have performance limitations.

TGB is the closest that I could find but it is still too immature for my liking -- all of the horsepower is there but the level builder isn't designed specific to any genre. I'm keeping my eye on it, though. It will be an awesome engine once it gets more genre specific code behind it.

Anyway, I'd much rather implement the whole thing myself, so I know I have what I want. It's just the "grunt" work that I'd rather avoid by using a framework that handles many common elements within a game.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#9]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=70746

Source code available too, I believe, if you wanted to get your hands dirty.

H&K(Posted 2007) [#10]
I plan to release the game commercially so I don't want to use something like NWN
I dont think the one precludes the other.
For example Catalysm was just a Mod of Homeworld, and that was released comertialy, as were a couple of HL mods.

As I said, if they are allowing you to ship the MOD with the engine, then it would be "A RPG Framework"

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#11]
Thanks, H&K for letting me know that. I'll think about it but I'm pretty sure it's overkill. RPG Maker XP would have been the proper environment for it except I want a little more complex tile and animation systems for the game. So I'm aiming for a little higher than a casual gamer with this RPG.

However, it is an excellent thought, if I want to make something that is a little more meaty and hardcore.

Redspark(Posted 2007) [#12]
Thanks, Gabriel. That looks really like a nice framework. I'll take it for a spin.