Question on BlitzMax conercning games development.

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Question on BlitzMax conercning games development.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello,

I am working on a game design document for a new RPG series of my own.

I was wondering with BlitzMax if I need to use a game engine? Some people say that you don't need to use a game engine with BlitzMax. I am so use to C++ but it got a bit complicated for me and I need some prior experince with a basic language for a little bit.

I am making an isometric game.

~ Tyler "LilMain" Moyer ~

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#2]
Whether you *need* to use a game engine will depend on what features you need. If Max2D does all you need, you don't need to use one. If it doesn't, you do. That's as specific as I can be without knowing your requirements from a 2d graphics module. If I had to give a broad answer, I'd say you probably don't need one. Most people manage without.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#3]
Well, I am new to BlitzMax. How will I get Max2D?

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#4]
Max2D is the default graphics stuff in BMax.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#5]
In Blitz you have some basic 2D drawing functions like drawing images and lines and so on, with rotation and scaling and tinting, and in a few drawing modes like lightblend, shadeblend, solid etc. If this is enough for you graphically you wont need anything else for the graphics side of things. If you want to go 3D or more sophisticated 2D you'll have to learn OpenGL or do DirectX calls. There is no particle engine, there is no script engine except you can use Lua, you can play some sound/music, there is no AI engine or game structure.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#6]
Okay, well I already know DirectX9.0 so I guess I need to make some engines for my game if I want a particle engine and AI engine. Isn't there libraries already built with that stuff for Bmax?

Thanks for all the help!

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#7]
There are engines that have been written/ported/wrapped for BlitzMAX. MiniB3D is a Blitz3D-like engine for BlitzMAX. There is also an Irrlicht wrapper done by GMan called gg.irrlicht which can do 2D, 3D, particles, and a few other things.
Do a few searches in the forums and in the code archives and I'm sure you'll find many things to suit your needs. AI, Particle, GUIs, Sound, scripting, I/O, etc... have all been done and redone by members here.

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks! That helped me! I found an Ogre Wrapper as well, that may help me as well.

Apollonius(Posted 2007) [#9]
Although I think you can code your own AI and special effects(particles), I'm no expert but anything you want can be done with blitzmax you just need to code it urself with math and the basic commands in BMAX.

Am-I wrong?

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#10]
No, you're not wrong. It's just I am new to BlitzMax & it'll take some more experince with programming in the language. Noone is a geneis & can build things so complex right when I when you learn the basics.

AD(Posted 2007) [#11]
Have you tried

Adventure Game Studio for your RPG?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/