Weird DirectX Loss Of Frame Rate...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Weird DirectX Loss Of Frame Rate...

MGE(Posted 2007) [#1]
Very strange indeed, could be my system, could be DirectX, could be Bmax, I don't know...but the more I code and test things, eventually my frame rate drops enough to make me go bonkers, makes me think something is buggy in the code, then I remember to reboot and all is well again. :)

Think excessive going in/out of DirectX over a period of hours just causes things to bog down a bit?

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
You could be filling you available video RAM causing texture swapping? or a memory leak?

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#3]
Sounds like a memory leak.

How about a tiny test app?

MGE(Posted 2007) [#4]
hmm.... it never happens when using OpenGL, keep in mind, I'll compile/test, hundreds of times a day, going in/out of DirectX mode, etc. I don't know, I'm trying to do more research on it. I was just throwing it out there incase there was some stable reason for this already documented. It's probably just my on board intel gpu throwing fits. ;)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#5]
are you sure that your application ends correctly?
because otherwise it could be that DX is keeping your textures alive in VRAM so each new start will flood the VRAM more until your RAM is full due to the fact that you don't have a GPU but an office chipset with some minor 3d support (most onboard of intel don't even meet the minimum req for BM which is T&L which only GMA950 and higher are really compliant to ... GMA900 still is capable of beeing a p*** of s***, have one in my tablet as well)

Oh and make sure you are on the most current drivers for your intel gpu, thats more important than most other things.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hi Dremora, thank you for the comments. So if I do something like:

Global picture:TImage = LoadImage(file$)

Do I need to set picture to null at program end?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#7]
Normally not, no. BM own objects, beside OGG sound which need stop channel, are cleaned at program end.

But you are on one of the few really problematic card types ... Intel.
For 2 different reasons:
- Their drivers never have been without problems
- They never had any DX7 hardware accelerated GPU (back that days they were not even able to draw polygons correctly, pure 2D)

For that reason, using the DX9 usermade driver here on the boards might be an idea. Test that and see if it still bombs the RAM (intel onboard has no VRAM)

MGE(Posted 2007) [#8]
"For that reason, using the DX9 usermade driver..."

Not an option currently, I'm latched into the DX7 driver because of a few low level calls I'm doing.

BTW... thank you Dreamora for replying to my various posts. Much appreciated. ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
I spend all day compiling and exiting my games (sometimes preoperly, other times killing them with the IDE) which use DX7 and I never get any slowdown.