A few questions about Bmax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/A few questions about Bmax

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

I've been using Blitz3D for years and think it's great. I was thinking of buying Bmax but was wondering about a few thibgs
1> Has it got better file handling than B3D, eg,easy to read/write ini files and save/load variable data?
2> Are loops and other 'logic' commands faster?
3> Does OOP take a long time to get used to?
4> Can you make userlibs for B3D with Bnax?

Thank you all in advance

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#2]
1) It has streams which help in this respect, there are also ini read/write code samples in the code archives (I put a simple one there)
2) Generally, yes
3) No, it's pretty easy (depending on how open you are to changing your coding style)
4) Yes, BMax can compile DLL's

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks mate :)

2> Generally, yes

Does this mean some commands are slower or the same as B3D

Thanks again

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#4]
It means that some coders are better than others.

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#5]
How does it compare to Purebasic?

Thanks

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#6]
dunno, never really used purebasic. I think I have a copy on a coverdisk somewhere...

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#7]
How does it compare to Purebasic?

Last I checked, PB is not Object-Oriented, has major problems with it's Mac version and has few 3D options. Plus I found the IDE clunky and buggy, although I've been told I'm in the minority with that.

So very well, IMO.

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#8]
Cool, thanks

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#9]
PB IDE lets BM ide look like a little child created it. Especially the fact that PB comes with GUI stuff AND a GUI creator, without additional fees and the like.

For pure applications, PB is definitely the better choise (less UI problems, threading and a few other things that can and tend to get in your way if you use BM)

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#10]
Now I cant decide between them again LOL. I've always liked B3D so maybe I should go with Bmax.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#11]
You can get demos of both. Try them out and see what suits.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#12]
With the little difference that the BM demo is outdated for over 16 months and does not reflect the current BM or even the inner language working ... unless you are on OSX ...

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#13]
So, may I ask what are the main improvements to BM since the demo?

Thanks

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#14]
GC more stable
Strict / SuperStrict

DX7 module rewritten

TList problems solved
TMap reimplemented as black red tree

many many many more things

Demo code is not even compatible anymore with current BM

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#15]
So, am I right in thing that the way BM is designed, a DX 9/10 module could be written in BM?

Thanks
MM

kfprimm(Posted 2007) [#16]
Yes, BRL.DXGraphics actually has a Direct3D 9 driver in it. However, it is not functional. I forget who but someone updated it and made a D3D9Max2D module.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#17]
The cool thing about BlitzMax is, alot of BlitzMax is written in....BlitzMax! The language itself has no limitations. ;)

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#18]
So would you say its as fast as C# which im also looking at? (XNA looks good and is free but i guess its harder to use than BM)

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#19]
(XNA looks good and is free but i guess its harder to use than BM)

One major downside of XNA as it stands at this time, is that you have to give your full source code for others to run the game, no pre-compiled executables.

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#20]
Couple more questions, sorry.
Does BM have private/public methods like C# and overloading too?
Is it worth buying MAXGUI?
Can you make small programs such as a simple chat proggy that stay in systray but loads most of its data when you're using it (that make sense? LOL)

Thanks

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#21]
private and public methods, no, but it does allow you to declare portions of your code as private or public (just not within types).

Overloading is not implemented.

MaxGUI lets you make GUI apps using it without the hassle of interfacing with the API, all the basic components are implemented. I guess it's up to you whether it's worth it for you.

Can you make small programs such as a simple chat proggy that stay in systray but loads most of its data when you're using it (that make sense? LOL)

I don't see why not.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#22]
Does BM have private/public methods like C#

No.

and overloading too?

No.

Is it worth buying MAXGUI?

If you want to create Apps, certainly. If you want to create games, probably not.

Yes. There's one on the first page of the gallery right now.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#23]
Does BM have private/public methods like C#

If you use modules and know how to do it: yes it does (no I do not mean the fake I posted in the early BM days. I've found a different one that is so much better, works stable and does not need invisible implementation and does allow full extending of the things)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#24]
If you use modules and know how to do it: yes it does (no I do not mean the fake I posted in the early BM days. I've found a different one that is so much better, works stable and does not need invisible implementation and does allow full extending of the things)

Well would you mind enlightening the rest of us who are labouring under the misapprehension that you can't?

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#25]

There's some free modules around that allow you to put an application in the system tray. I'm playing around with Fabian Mokross' excellent fmc.systemtray module right now.

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#26]
Well would you mind enlightening the rest of us who are labouring under the misapprehension that you can't?

Would I?
No.

There have been to many here playing the great "BM understanders" that piss on first day users head, now its open to them to find out the ins and outs of the files generated for modules and the restrictions on them but as well the possibilities they offer.
as I can not restrict this knowledge from beeing seen by those users, I will not make it public

Uber Jase(Posted 2007) [#27]
That's a no then? :D

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#28]
I think thois could be done modifing the interface files for modules, but I'm not sure how stable this can get to be.