Building Modules problem

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Building Modules problem

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#1]
Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
Build Error: failed to compile E:/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

i only get the option to CTRL+D to do this as the Max IDE has the menu grayed out :(

Whats wrong with my MaxIDE?

ziggy(Posted 2007) [#2]
Do you have MinGW installed? Take a look here http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=53442

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#3]
What about the suggestion I made to you here ?

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#4]
i get ERROR:Internal error
i thought being here would be usefull

Im using WindowsXP pro and im full admin rights
its wierd i know

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#5]
Just for you Neochrome

PC users wishing to build modules or compile source code that imports C/C++ code will need to install the MinGW C/C++ compiler package.

* Download and install MinGW 3.1.0 from www.mingw.org

The current download can be found here:

prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download

Note: Do not use a later version of MinGW. Due to ongoing issues with C++, you may have trouble linking with 'prebuilt' modules if you do.

* Edit your PATH environment to include the MinGW/bin directory.

* Create a MINGW environment variable that points to the MinGW root directory.

And that should be it! You should now be able to use the 'build modules' feature in the IDE.

Bye!
Mark Sibly
WinXP, DX9.0b, P4/3G, 512M, Radeon 9800
MacOS10.3, G5/1.8G, 768M, GeForce 6800 Ultra

It's resolved the same problem for 100 different people.

Neochrome(Posted 2007) [#6]
tonyG deserves a kiss!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#7]
This sounds like the answer to my problem, but I don't understand those directions. I mean, I've downloaded mingw and installed it, but I have no idea what that means about editing the path environment. help plz

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#8]
Mingw

In windows:

First off, to compile modules you will need to have mingw (at least on a windows computer) and have the paths for it set up. For anyone who doesn't know, enviornment paths allow you or other programs to use common programs by simply referencing the name of the program.

Mingw is pretty much multi purpose when used in conjunction with blitzmax. It allows blitzmax to compile non-bmx code into modules (automated), and allows you to use dlls in blitzmax after writing a wrapper/declerations in .bmx. Get it from here

Then, you've gotta set your enviornment paths for it. Go to control panel, System, Advanced tab, click "Enviornment variables", in the new window that pops up there is a listbox labeled "System Variables". Within this, scroll down to a variable named "Path". Select it, click edit. Move to the end of the text, and add a semicolon (;), and paste in the path to your mingw bin directory.

taken from here

jhocking(Posted 2007) [#9]
thanks!

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#10]
You'll also need to use the same method to :
Create a MINGW environment variable that points to the MinGW root directory.