blitzmax linux installation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/blitzmax linux installation

julianbury(Posted 2007) [#1]
How do you install blitzmax in linux?
I am a newbe to UBUNTU Linux and I do not know how to install BlitzMax.
I downloaded BlitzMax118_Linux.tar.gz to home/joolian/BlitzMax/
and I have no idea how to install it.
I was hoping Synaptic would do it but Synaptic has never heard of it.
Neither has apt-get.

Can anyone help, please?
Thank you for your kind attention :-)

(-_-)

deps(Posted 2007) [#2]
There is no installer.
You have to unpack the .tar.gz file. I can't remember how it's done in ununtu, but gnome and kde should be able to do this. Try rightclicking on the file and look for something like "Unpack".

Failing that, open a console and move to the folder that contains the file.
Then type tar zxvf BlitzMax118_Linux.tar.gz

degac(Posted 2007) [#3]
Just installed yesterday Ubuntu+BlitzMax. It works fine.
Once downloaded the 1.18 (and the update) just double click on the 'package' and it will be extracted where you want.
In my case I extracted directly on my desktop - now I have a folder called BlitzMax.
Same for the update. Double click and extract on the desktop. Then doubleclick on the icon blitzmax update - it will ask you to find the installation folder (in my case /Desktop/BlitzMax) and click OK.

To compile program just follow this link http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=54592
- it works perfectly.

For installing the gfx driver (needed if don't want to play at 2/3 FPS per second via software-emulation...) I get this script http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html ENVY that allow you to install the driver and configure it automatically!

Craig Watson(Posted 2007) [#4]
Just a warning with Envy, if you use it and it doesn't work, you won't get any decent support from Ubuntu on the forums or elsewhere.

If you're using Ubuntu 7.04 you should give the restricted driver manager a shot first.

degac(Posted 2007) [#5]
Well - the first time I installed Ubuntu I followed the 'instruction' (downloaded the driver from nvidia site, sudo bla bla bla...) - reboot system - and tada!! "Cannot start the Xserver..."
So thank' God the script works at the first run! But every other solutions was (for me) not so good.
(of course I made a copy of xcong.org file to avoid complications...before starting Envy script)

Craig Watson(Posted 2007) [#6]
The instructions now are to go to the restricted driver manager and enable the video driver, ie. System-> Administration->Restricted Devices Manager, Enable Driver, Apply Changes.

The instructions you got (to go to the nVidia website) were not the official ones. Ubuntu has (as far as I can remember) always had nVidia's binary drivers in their repositories. Getting them from nVidia generally involves a bit more work and makes upgrades (eg. kernel) more difficult.