Support for Flash in BlitzMax

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Support for Flash in BlitzMax

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is Adobe Flash support available in Max similar to the BlitzFlash plugin for Blitz3D? My current B3D project makes extensive use of this common format, and I'd like to extend it to Mac. Unfortunately I can't do this if Flash can't be accessed.

If no such library exists, how difficult would it be to create a .dll for Max? Is it just the matter of writing a wrapper for the existing Flash .dll? I can't imagine it being that simple! Two way communication between Flash and the Blitz program is essential.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wouldn't a re-written flash system using proper 3D accelerated graphics be much faster than the software driven engine?

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2007) [#3]
Possibly. I don't know how Flash uses the hardware, but it could be using the 3D hardware to do 2D draws, much like the FastImage lib for Blitz3D. Most importantly though I need compatibility with real Flash, rather than a flash-like solution.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#4]
Of course it'd need to be fully compatible, but I very much doubt that flash is using OpenGL, for example, or any hardware acceleration at all. It would be a lot smoother if it was.

On the web they can't really target the graphics card because they are trying to appeal to a huge audience so they probably do it all in software. Whereas if you are using it in your blitz application you are likely more interested in targetting users who have decent graphics cards, so a hardware accelerated implementation would be highly preferable.