Autodetect Graphics

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Autodetect Graphics

mothmanbr(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is there any way to auto-detect the graphic drivers any PC supports? I want my game to run in most, if not all, computers out there, but unfortunately this isn't happening. In some computers the window just appears then disappears, or, like I posted, in my college computers, no images are drawn, only commands like drawrect, drawline, etc.

Well, so far this only happened in about 10% of the computers that tested the game, but I still think this is a very high percentage.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#2]
At some point you get into the territory where it comes down to the reliability of the drivers and whether the user has them installed, which is largely not something you have much if any control over. You can just do the best you can for most people and hope there aren't too many who would have issues. You can't really detect if the driver is supported without trying to open `Graphics` and seeing if it was successful.

mothmanbr(Posted 2007) [#3]
For all the commercial games released that were made with BMAX, what did they do to overcome this issue?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#4]
Perhaps your college computers have some kind of restrictions in place that might affect your program?

mothmanbr(Posted 2007) [#5]
Sounds logical. Now that I think of it, I ran the game through a network drive. Maybe that's why no images showed. Next time I'm there I'll test again, but first I'll copy it to a local drive.

But still, sometimes the window opens and just closes, or just stays black and not responding. I believe those are the cases that the drivers are not working correctly?

H&K(Posted 2007) [#6]
What games can you play on your collage computers?

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
What games can you play on your collage computers?
I had a collage computer once. It was made from lots of bits taken out of other computers.

*shuffles away*

H&K(Posted 2007) [#8]
Shut up... fatty (or skinky whichever is most appropriate)

mothmanbr(Posted 2007) [#9]
Uh... Flash games? :P

Maybe I should download some other games from here and try them there.