Switching Camera to different Placeholders

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Switching Camera to different Placeholders

3DMan(Posted 2007) [#1]
Greetings,

I would appreciate some help with the following few questions:

I want to set up a few fixed camera "pivots or placeholders" in different areas of a map in 3DS Max, and I would like to use them to switch the camera to those "placeholders"

a) when the player would come to a certain distance of a certain placeholder

b) when the player would come to a certain position (trigger), which would then switch to the corresponding camera

c) some cameras would turn with the player (always facing the player)

How could that be done?

Thank you :)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
I *think* you might have signed up to the wrong forum 3DMan. Are you really using BlitzMax?

3DMan(Posted 2007) [#3]
I just noticed that hehe, sorry

I'll post in Blitz3D one :)

insomnia(Posted 2007) [#4]
Nevertheless...
Make a cube in Max and give it a certain name you will recognize, then make another cube (if you want to each other primitive should also work), which discribes the position the camera should look. You also should give this cube a name you will recognize..

e.g.
CameraCube name is Cam1
And other cube name is Cam1Direction

Now you can load you exported level (3ds, b3d) to you code.
But there are still no cameras you would say.. Right! This will change now: Just use the FindChild command (e.g: campos = FindChild(level_mesh, 'Cam1') - I am not sure if blitz3d uses "" or '')

now you got the position for your camera, which you will rotate to the right direction with PointEntity to Cam1Direction.

I hope I could help you.