generic 3D API?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/generic 3D API?

Rozek(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hello!

Let me ask a silly question: from previous questions (and some additional investigation) I've found out

- that there won't be an "official" 3D extension for BlitzMAX (i.e., no Max3D)
- there are a few BlitzMax modules planned and/or available which follow the Blitz3D API (e.g., MiniB3D, iB3D for IrrLicht, and another one for the Leadwerks Engine)

It seems, as if the Blitz3D API has become quite popular - popular enough for others to provide an API for their own engines similar to Blitz3D.

My question now is (and I have no knowledge of Blitz3D at all!): is there a "set of Blitz3D functions" which is supposed to be provided by any engine? Is, e.g., the MiniB3D API "complete"?

The reason why I ask: if the API turns out to be identical (when talking about function signature and behaviour) people could just switch between different engines (and, just to mention a special case) use different engines on different platforms...

Additionally, I could survive with a single function set in my BlitzMAX-Lua interface ;-) (yes, you cought me ;-) )

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#2]
@Rozek-

First, off, the "No Max3D" rumour came from me. I thought I had read something to that effect but I'm not sure of my facts now. Change that to "No Max3D in the near future."

Is the miniB3D API complete? Not 100% sure, but Si has ported a commercial B3D game to Max with it, so it should have just about everything you need.

I reckon miniB3D is a good bet if you're hoping for Max3D command compatibility when/if it comes out. It also gives you the cross-platform ability.

Rozek(Posted 2007) [#3]
Lee,

thanks for the info - I will go on with MiniB3D then (for the moment, at least)

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#4]
If you don't have any prior Blitz3D experience I can't really see the benefit of using MiniB3D.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2007) [#5]
Is a new Blitz/Max3D being actively developed? What are they currently working on now? Have I bought a dead product that won't be actively updated and improved? *sniff*

Rozek(Posted 2007) [#6]
FlameDuck,

do I have a (better) alternative (within BlitzMax)?

Czar,

BlitzMax and MaxGUI are under active development (according to Mark Sibly), there is "just" no official (cross-platform) 3D engine available for BlitzMax.

deps(Posted 2007) [#7]
If you don't have any prior Blitz3D experience I can't really see the benefit of using MiniB3D.

I have never used Blitz3D but I use MiniB3D. :)
It's easy to use and suits my needs.