Vista Problems

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Vista Problems

tsunez(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi Everyone,

If I install BlitzMax 1.18 in Vista 64-bit Ulimate edition everything works fine. However, when I apply the updates I cannot compile without errors and when I run the sync module operation I get a "Unhandled Memory Exception Error". Apparently because I can't sync the modules I can't compile without getting missing dependencies?

I have gone so far as to completely expose the Vista computer to the Internet with 'no' firewall at all!

When I do exactly the same thing on my WinXP machine everything works perfectly, programs compile and modules update. I have checked directory permissions and just about everything else I can think about.

I have searched the forums to see if someone else was having a similar problem. I didn't see anything that was the same. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

tsunez(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hi again,

Here's a little update. I found I could install Blitz and all the updates + sync operations on my XP machine and then just copy the whole thing over to Vista machine and it all works perfectly.

Anyway, it would be nice to know why I can't sync on Vista but the problem appears to be partially solved.

tsunez(Posted 2007) [#3]
On final update.

To get Blitz to sync correctly with Vista, make sure you run MaxIDE as Administrator.

Just right click on the icon and select 'run as Administrator'. Problem soled, everything works perfectly and a Mac starts seeming a little nicer :)

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#4]
Do these compilation errors look anything like these #1

tsunez(Posted 2007) [#5]
Yes, they looked like the second one. The number one issue I've run into with Vista is that stupid security model 'quietly' stopping otherwise good programs from working. I've had a few problems with Visual Studio 2005 if I don't do a 'run as Administrator' there too.

WendellM(Posted 2007) [#6]
Whee! And where can I pay Microsoft $100 to $300 to experience these problems vs. a perfectly-working XP? This rant isn't meant at your expense, tsunez, and it isn't really meant at Microsoft.

It's just meant to address how much of a pain in the ass that security has become so that installation of programming has become a bothersome issue that didn't exist going back to circa 1980. Regardless of inevitability, it sucks.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#7]
If you syncmods with User Account Control turned on, you'll get an "Unhandled Memory Exception".

So, turn it off.

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#8]
It's just meant to address how much of a pain in the ass that security has become
It is not because of security. It is because Microsoft doesn't understand security, and relegates responsibility for understanding security to it's users.

You'll notice that truly secure operating systems (GNU/Linux, GNU/MacOS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, even BeOS) don't exhibit any of these problems, as they where originally design as multi-user operating systems. Windows wasn't, and many of it's paradigms don't work well (or even at all) in a multi-user environment.