changing the .exe icon

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/changing the .exe icon

jkrankie(Posted 2007) [#1]
How do i change the exe icon from the one that blitzmax creates on Windows. I need to add a .ico so it has a picture.

Cheers
Charlie

Yan(Posted 2007) [#2]
Just create an object file containing the icon resource (with windres, for example) and import it.

Here's a simple front end for windres...

MakeObject.zip ~170KB

...includes example code for setting the icon on a Max2D/MaxGL window's title bar, etc.

jkrankie(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks, that looks great.

Also, how do i creat an object file (i'm newish to windows so humor me)

Cheers
Charlie

EOF(Posted 2007) [#4]
BlitzMax Application icon guide

Yan(Posted 2007) [#5]
Erm...you...run...'MakeObject.exe' ?? ;op

Unless of course, you haven't got MinGW installed. In which case, you install MinGW and then...you...run...'MakeObject.exe'. ;o)

CASO(Posted 2007) [#6]
I tried the "BlitzMax Application icon guide" mentioned by Jim Brown. It works great and is fairly easy to use. And no hacks. I had been looking for the right way to set the icon for months and I think that was what I was looking for.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
yep it works great, but it won't set the icon on the title bar or in the alt tab task switcher...I've posted some code for that in the code archives somewhere...click my name then click code archive entries.

Yan(Posted 2007) [#8]
My head hurts...

CASO(Posted 2007) [#9]
On my computer it changed the exe icon, titlebar icon, task manager icon, alt-tab thingy, start bar, and everything else.

I don't know if this matters, but i used an icon file i created that had multiple formats on it (16x16,32x32,48x48, true w/alpha color, 256 color,...)

Yan(Posted 2007) [#10]
That's because your using MaxGUI. You need additional code for the same thing to happen when using a normal Max2D or MaxGL window.

Hence...
...includes example code for setting the icon on a Max2D/MaxGL window's title bar, etc.
...in my first post.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#11]
ok I take it back, you only need my code in limited circumstances :-)

mk2y10(Posted 2007) [#12]
What about Blitz3D?

Yan(Posted 2007) [#13]
Resouce Hacker

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#14]
Or use the Protean IDE. Let's you assign an icon to each of your projects and is done for your automatically every time you compile.

mk2y10(Posted 2007) [#15]
Oh, ok
Thanks.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#16]
Does someone know an icon fix for the maxgui beta module?

Rozek(Posted 2007) [#17]
Well,

"Adding icons to BlitzMax Win32 executables" (see http://homepage.ntlworld.com/config/max/appiconguide.htm) describes how to define icons for Win32 applications - but what about MacOSX and Linux? How do I modify the application icon on these platforms?

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#18]
For Mac, look here (step 3) and read the bit about Icon Composer.

No idea what to do under Linux.

Rozek(Posted 2007) [#19]
Thanks for the hint - I'll try it!