2d bones

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2d bones

daytwa(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm starting to create a 2d bones system in BlitzMax, but I wondered if anyone has done this before and is willing to share some code or wisdom. I won't need any physics or constraints, although I will be using some basic IK so that moving child bones properly affects parent bones in the editor. It's going to be all bitmap based, which means I'm just fastening bitmaps together, which makes me wonder if I should be creating a joint system instead. The bones system is *specifically* for ease-of-use in the animation editor, and will not be used in-game to compute anything (other than playing back the animations).

If anyone has tackled this before I'd love to hear your 2 cents! Thanks!

Ferminho(Posted 2007) [#2]
I'm making a 2D "bones" library for Bmax too. It's been fully functional for some time but I want to add some features to it yet (and the editor is very basic right now).
I did it bitmap based too and I think the result is quite satisfactory. Although it uses FK only for editing (I left IK out to make it simpler)

You can check it working at
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w3nwkXJIOTk (editor)
and
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TvCwB_UlOe4 (ingame)

if you want to drop me an email I'll be happy to answer any question you have about it or hear about your approach; I'm sure mine has a lot of room for improvements :)

bye,

Space_guy(Posted 2007) [#3]
I made some bone animation system last summer. After looking at your videos im getting in the mood to go back and see if i can improve it hehe.
I must say im impressed by your animations. i found it very hard to make some good 2d based sword swinging animations.
But do you use interpolation between frames?

Anyhow. Its not all that hard if kept simple. once you want to combine several animations at the same time like swinging a sword jumping while getting hit takes some more effort to code.

daytwa(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks for the input guys. Ferminho, I'll definitely be dropping you an email. Impressive videos!

kronholm(Posted 2007) [#5]
Very impressive indeed!

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#6]
2D gaming is not dead! Very cool, I like the tricycle video too. What are you using for physics, you own homebrew creation?

Ferminho(Posted 2007) [#7]
@Space_guy
Yes, my library interpolates between frames :) I thought that a must as my game distorts time (bullet time and all that) to make the anims smoother.
Combining animations like in a 3D skeleton would be a nice feature, but not so easy, yeah...

@daytwa
I just saw your email. I'll answer now ;)

@altitudems
homebrew physics, yes :) I personally think it sucks but at least it's pixel-based, no vectorial information needed anywhere.

Thanks for the comments on the videos guys ;)
PD: I feel like I hijacked the post a bit, sorry!