Need Tutorial!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Need Tutorial!

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#1]
Greetings to all! Somebody saw tutorial on creation of RTS? Though any sketches, examples, etc.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#2]
What's your status? beginner, average, or advanced?

I personally wouldn't bother with RTS or any other high-end game if you haven't acquired any advanced programming skills yet.

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#3]
My status is beginner.

You do not think, that I wish to create mega RTS! I wish to create very much a poor excuse on RTS!

PS And you with what genre would advise to work?

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#4]
And still I would like to learn to do strategy, but for this purpose the tutorial is necessary to me...

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#5]
PS And you with what genre would advise to work?

Not a (game-)genre in particular, just random code. There aren't game-specific instructions to learn, each instruction can be used in a multitude of purposes, so there's no urge to learn these instructions in the context of a game.

Moving an image of a fighter ship on the screen requires about 8 lines of code.. that's truly simple. But creating a game where each ship moves and acts according to a certain plan is something else.

Since a week I've a 4/4 violin here, I plan to study it myself, without teacher. Rather than thinking about performing Tchaikovsky's Violin Concert, I just play chromatic tone scales, day in, day out.. nothing more than that.. perhaps the odd Old McDonald's Farm now and then, but certainly not more complex than that.

It's the same with programming: first do boring/random/non-sense-making stuff first, games will come after many years of messing around and even more years of starting the wrong way.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#6]
There is not a 'How to code an RTS in Bmax for people who have not coded in Bmax before' tutorial. Creating an RTS is a HUGE topic. There *are* general 'this is what you need to think about when coding an RTS in any language' tutorials so you should use google.
Otherwise you need to write down the different aspects of an RTS (pathfinding, unit selection, AI Strategy, Tilemaps etc). However, you need to know your language first. Once you know the commands and understand the limitations then there are 100's of tutorials available whether in BlitzMax or other languages. Hope it helps.

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thanks all! I shall try.... And to study BMAX.

CS_TBL(Posted 2007) [#8]
Btw, there are plenty o' ppl around this place who can/will help you with that, as long as you don't ask for things that are way out of your reach yet. Good luck.

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#9]
Chris,

1. Start work by making small demo.

2. make many small demos and enjoy

this is how you learn blitzmax.

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#10]
Thank's to All! I then perhaps, shall start to study....

PS. I can consider, what you have accepted me in a "community"?

bradford6(Posted 2007) [#11]
yes, you are accepted in our community. Welcome!

If you have any questions we will try our best to answer them. I sense that English is not your native language. perhaps you could also try posting your question in your native language and we could try to translate.

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#12]
Thank's bradford6! theme closed

skidracer(Posted 2007) [#13]
I would start with a pen and draw what you want your game to look like.

If you left player control out to begin with you could concentate on cpu player testing the methods you will need. Start with a factory that can pump out little dudes every few seconds stick it on the screen and have the dudes run around aimlessly once they are created. Then you probably want to get them finding some food and you'll be wanting some stats output to keep count of everything going on.

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#14]
If it is fair, I have not understood you...

H&K(Posted 2007) [#15]
What Skid is saying, (in the second part),

You know that in an RTS there will be:
"A Main Base: Type thing" (Maybe a big Spaceship, maybe a mother alien, maybe a big Egg full of robots)
And an "Go Get Stuff thing" (Maybe a little Spaceship getting rocks, maybe a baby alien getting bodies, maybe a Robot getting ... electicity)

So Write a program, that draws a "Big somthing" on screen. And have this "BigSomething" make "Little Somethings" that run round looking for "Food" or "Cristals" or "People to gestate in" or "Trees" etc

If you write down on paper what the game will look like. Then you will know what these Big and little somethings will look like

JohnK(Posted 2007) [#16]
Thank you, H&K! I shall try...