Level of Transparancy

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Level of Transparancy

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#1]
.jpg has no transparancy
.png has only 1-bit 9 (on / off) transparancy, right?
but TARGA .tga has 255 levels of opacity / transparancy

how can you control the level of tranparancy in an image? I mean can you import a .tga that has 127 as transparancy, since when saved as .png in paint shop pro and the like, its either on or off. nothing in the middle for shades etc?

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wrong.

PNG as TGA have both full 8 Bit Alpha.
Main difference is that PNG has a working standard, TGA has too much optional stuff that tends to create problems.

To control the Alpha of a given pixel, you will need an app that allows this. In GIMP / Photoshop etc you normaly can not draw alpha like a normal color. But you can set the alpha on the layer blending. The only thing needed to have alpha in the end picture is that the background layer had alpha as background color and not some other.

But there are many tutorials on that for the different apps, how to use alpha on layers, alpha masks and the like :)

But to get alpha in BM you need to set blend to AlphaBlend before.

On / OFF alpha btw is called masking. This is controled through the masking color and MaskBlend.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#3]
Erm... I think you're confusing alpha and masking.

Try SetBlend ALPHABLEND, then SetAlpha 0.5 (any float between 0 and 1) before drawing images.

In GIMP / Photoshop etc you normaly can not draw alpha like a normal color.
You can edit the alpha layer directly in Photoshop.

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#4]
setblend maskblend
and
setalpha 1.0
are the "default" values, yes? (I mean for un-changed stuff)

FlameDuck(Posted 2007) [#5]
SetAlpha only works in ALPHABLEND mode. And yes, if you're using a MASKBLEND then obviously you won't be able to get soft transitions.

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#6]
but that wasn't my question ;-) Maskblend is the default unless you change that setting, right? and alpha of 1.0 is default too unless changed; that was all I needed clarified :-)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#7]
I think in maskblend the default alpha is 0.5, not 1. ???

Newbie(Posted 2007) [#8]
its 1.0 accoding to the tests I made ...

ninjarat(Posted 2007) [#9]
Default maskblend is 1.0.

Wheras with alphablend you can go like SetAlpha(0.25), and the image will be drawn at 0.25 opacity.

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2007) [#10]
This may help:
images = LoadPixmapPNG("images.png")
xsize = PixmapWidth(images)
ysize = PixmapHeight(images)
images_alpha = LoadPixmapPNG("images_alpha.png")
new_images = CreatePixmap(xsize, ysize, PF_RGBA8888)
For y = 0 Until ysize
	For x = 0 Until xsize
		WritePixel new_images, x, y, (ReadPixel(images, x, y) & $FFFFFF) | ((ReadPixel(images_alpha, x, y) & $FF) Shl 24)
	Next
Next
SavePixmapPNG new_images, "new_images.png", 9
DebugLog "Done!"

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#11]
Here is a program I wrote up demonstrating the various blend modes and alpha settings. It draws three overlapping circles, with the alpha channel decreasing from the center of the circle to the edge.