Anyone using FishEd?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Anyone using FishEd?

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#1]
Is anyone here using FishEd as their map editor? I'm looking for some code that will show me how to load in and move about a map. This is a really good map editor but can't really do anything with it until I know how to do this.

Thanks

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#2]
i use it, its very good.

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#3]
Have you got anything that I can see that you have done in it?

Thanks

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#4]
Haven't used it but it looks pretty decent.

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#5]
So isn't there anyone that uses FishEd that can help me with this then?

RiK(Posted 2007) [#6]
Have you tried talking to Andy Roberts (the author) ?

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#7]
I have sent him an email but have not had a reply.

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#8]
Ive put a simple demo up at:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.devoy/dash.zip
This loads and scrolls around a simple FishEd map.

NOTE: This uses a Fished map, not a Fished project; loading a project would be MUCH more difficult.

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks for your help and the demo smilertoo :) I will have a look at this when I get in from work tonight.

Thanks

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#10]
You'd think that a map editor would generate the code for you that you need to implement the map. Isn't that obvious? Why would you build an editor that lets you create layers and parallax and maps and objects etc but that doesn't go any way toward helping you make it work from within your own program, other than to dump the data into a file?

smilertoo(Posted 2007) [#11]
It comes with some example code once you buy it.
The one thing it needs is a better description of how the project files are laid out.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#12]
It comes with some example code once you buy it.

Hmmm... in which directory?

RetroRusty(Posted 2007) [#13]
It only comes with BlitzPlus code but it's just functions and not a demo of how it works. It's in the FishEd/Code folder.

iamnothing(Posted 2007) [#14]
Very, very few editors generate any code and assume that you can load binary files as long as the documentation is complete. I still need to get around to using it.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#15]
Very, very few editors generate any code and assume that you can load binary files

Hmmm, not sure about that. Mappy, TileStudio, World Artist, UME all have language specific (in this case Bmax) engines.
I haven't got around to using it yet either though. It seemed to arrive, be bought and then was never really mentioned again.

iamnothing(Posted 2007) [#16]
Most of them are user contributed sources for the languages/engines that they work with. At least in terms of Mappy and the like. FishEd, I believe was made in BlitzPlus, so it makes sense that it has BP code.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#17]
There you go then. FishEd just needs a user community.