GNet or TNet

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/GNet or TNet

Mickey Crocker(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm beginning to get fusterated... I wanted to teach myself how to create a very simple network anything (simplistic chat or game) without having to ask for help on the forums, but every bit of code in the archives that I have found, or sample codes and tutorials are out of date.

I also tried to download TNet off of the truplo site, but for some reason the Mac installer will only install an empty folder. So then I go to the forums on the truplo site and it requires I sign up first before I can do a search, so I click register and it says that they are no longer registering any more users.

Sorry for the rant but man... I can't seem to find the most basic tutorial to get me on the right track that is up to date... Could someone point me in the right direction? thanks.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#2]
What happens when you follow this ?
It also contains a link to a thread with a downloadable demo. If, for whatever reason, the tutorial is out of date post what problems you have and somebody will help.
without having to ask for help on the forums

Hmmm...good luck!

Booticus(Posted 2007) [#3]
Wave (The guy who made Tnet) is pretty nice, email him and see whats up! He was responsive to me when I grabbed Tnet a while back.

Mickey Crocker(Posted 2007) [#4]
tonyg: That one is out of date, it doesn't recognize any of the peer commands or the accept command...

Booticus: I guess I could try contacting him. I kind of assumed that maybe he wasn't supporting it anymore because of the fact the forums seemed to be shut down... I'll give it a shot

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#5]
Searching on 'GnetAccept' in these forums leads to this which states

GNet now uses ENet for low level comms. GNetAccept and all peer functions have gone. GNetAccept now built into GNetSync, and GNetConnect now just returns True/False.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#6]
Unfortunately, TNet is not any more under development, which is a shame since my game was entirely based on TNet.
See this announcement from Wave, on his web site:

TNet for Blitzmax is no longer under development. To much bugs and problems still remain with TNet, and I suspect there is many bugs I still haven't detected. TNet Advanced was a great idea, yet it become way to complex. I suggest GNet for those who want to implement multiplayer in their games. The source for Advanced and Basic is now open to those who want. Post in the forums or mail me.

So the other solution is GNet...
Another one (the one hopefully I will use in my game) is a RakNet wrapper that one day I will finish... But not now I am afraid. So go with GNet...
(there is also BNet by the way)

Takuan(Posted 2007) [#7]
Why you dont use BNet?

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#8]
If you are talking to me: because BNet doesn't have reliable UDP if I am not mistaking... And I REALLY need reliable UDP...

Takuan(Posted 2007) [#9]
A RakNet wrapper would be interesting. Does it have prediction? If you need reliable UDP then you would need prediction too me thinks.
But talked to Mickey;)
He asked for a direction and BNet seems a good one as its easier to understand then GNet and has working examples.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#10]
No, RakNet does not have prediction (at least I didn't see this in the main feature). But reliable UDP and prediction are two different things not related together. Reliable UDP -> if a message didn't arrive, then resend it (so that 100% of the messages arrive).

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#11]
You could use KNetLib as well (interesting it wasn't mentioned so far). Reliable, with interpolation capabilities.

Stu_ovine(Posted 2007) [#12]
Be warned that KNETlib is no longer being updated, so no support !

Although it is very easy to get into - ive now moved to Raknet and find it 200% better.

Just need to prod and poke KuRiX to update his wrapper to the latest build. Find the wrapper -> http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50546#667312

RepeatUntil(Posted 2007) [#13]
The wrapper from Kurix is for Blitz3D, not BlitzMax. Ovine, maybe you created a .bmx file to be able to use the dll?

Anyway, I have on my hard disk a version of the wrapper working with BlitzMax, and with the LATEST version of RakNet. It is not finished, but I plan to finish it one day (but unfortunately, I have 2 months without coding, so you will have to wait... or use something else...)

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#14]
Ovine: and, where is there a problem? Support: There are docs, Blitz community would be far more professional if people would start reading them or all other would add RTFM to their signature. Not updated anymore: don't see a problem. From my knowledge, the network protocolls haven't changed for years and won't do it anymore at all so no reason you would need update over update. Its a network library not a graphics library or math library, right? :)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2007) [#15]
I didnt get a problem with getting KnetLib to work, the problem was that I was getting frequent reports of "can not start host" and crashing upon player connecting

Also people using wireless connections were getting severe lag.

DOCS - yea they go into detail about how to setup etc (which is v easy) but for things going wrong I spent hours sloughing thru the forum and any references I could find to the lib.

Im not saying it doesn't work - but for me it didn't.

Hence Ive moved over to RakNet (with thanks to KuRiX for the excellent wrapper) and porting the decals file into MAX was straight forward.

So far no such random errors (with the same BMax code) and dare I say it - it seems to run faster.

>RepeatUntil - I'll have to wait 2 months :( - keep me informed