Can't understand MaxGUI...

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Can't understand MaxGUI...

matthews_30(Posted 2006) [#1]
i have BlitzMax and BLide, do i need maxgui?

there are several modules for BMax on internet but most of them says "MaxGUI version" so i dont understand exactly if i mandatory need maxgui :( i am very confused. maybe maxgui is not the same to BLide. Can somebody help to understand what is it?

Many thanks,

matt.

GfK(Posted 2006) [#2]
MaxGUI is a GUI module which allows you to create forms/windows/gadgets/buttons etc. Its available to buy from Blitz Research and costs $30.

BLIde is an editor for Blitzmax code (with or without MaxGUI). Its available free from www.blide.org

If you see any Blitzmax code which states that it requires MaxGUI, then you can run the code in any editor provided that you've also bought the MaxGUI module from Blitz research.

Is the MaxGUI module mandatory? No.

Amon(Posted 2006) [#3]
MaxGUI is just a module provided by Blitz Research which enables you to make applications eg. Tilemap Editors or small software.

BLide is an IDE that you use to replace the max ide. An IDE (Intergrated Development Environment) is used to program your apps and games in.

When you start BlitzMax you are presented with the IDE and you can then start to code. Blide is the same but with a ton of features.

Hope that helps.
:)

H&K(Posted 2006) [#4]
do i need maxgui

MaxGui is a port of a bit of Blitz Plus that was used to make buttons and windows and stuff.

If you want to make this sort of thing, and you dont already have something like that. Then you should concider getting in. However.... it is generally concidered not to have been specificaly designed for BMax. I mean it works and its cross platform. But whereas everyone wants and will use a Max3d mod, lots of people got MaxGUI and simply dont use it.

There are a few other "GUI"s available from the comunity which you could use instead, some of which are better for game programing. If I specificaly mentioned one, it wouldnt make it the best, just the one Im using.

You could try and download the demo of bmax, which hase a version of MaxGUI in it. Then follow Assari's tutorials.

CS_TBL(Posted 2006) [#5]
I think you need it. Every game needs editors and such, MaxGUI is just ideal for these kinda tasks.

matthews_30(Posted 2006) [#6]
ok, i'll buy it.

thanks a lot!

matt.